Miranda Lambert’s Ascension; Hayes Carll’s, Too; Digital Ralph Stanley Reissues Celebrate Milestone
- Miranda Lambert joined the company of Pat Green and Willie Nelson as the only artists to ever sellout back-to-back nights at Billy Bob’s Texas — another sign in a long list that illustrates her arrival. The scary part, says DFW’s Preston Jones, is she’s just getting warmed up. Dallas Observer’s Dave Herrera echoes those sentiments.
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri on the new Todd Snider album Live: The Storyteller: “Throughout he reveals why he’s the best singer-songwriter of his generation […]”
- If the stars align, Randy Rogers says there’ll be a duet with Willie Nelson on the band’s next record.
- Country California: The Country Questionnaire, Part VII
- On February 22, Rebel Records will digitally reissue Something Old, Something New and I’ll Wear a White Robe from Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys. The reissue date also serves as the 40-year anniversary of the day Ralph Stanley began recording for Rebel.
- Former Stanley bandmember Larry Sparks has a new album scheduled for March 15 titled Almost Home. It’ll be released on Rounder Records, which also released a new album titled Heartaches Looking for a Home from another former Stanley bandmember, Charlie Sizemore, just this week. A young Sizemore is featured on the previously mentioned Stanley reissue I’ll Wear a White Robe, and in turn, Stanely is featured on the song “Red Wicked Wine” from Sizemore’s new record.
- Ronnie Dunn comments on blogs. Super cool.
- Verlon Thomspson: “finished tracks in the studio today for the new album. Coming very soon!”
- Farce the Music: Suggested new logos for country artists
- Some of the performances from the Grammys are cropping up on iTunes, including Miranda Lambert‘s live take on “The House That Built Me” (iTunes | Free Video Download) and Lady Antebellum‘s medley “If You Don’t Know Me By Now / American Honey / Need You Now” (iTunes). (via GAC)
- DFW.com: Five Texas country-music acts to watch for
- Don’t be fooled by Hayes Carll‘s nonchalant swagger, the Dallas Observer’s Pete Freedman says the lanky Texan is ridiculously self-aware.
“Everything I do, I do with a kind of a twang,” he says with a shrug. “So even if it’s not technically a country song, it gets labeled as that. I always try to keep one foot in and one foot out. I have no qualms about being labeled a Texas singer-songwriter. I think I have a certain sense of pride in it, actually. But the market’s pretty cluttered right now, so that could mean a number of things, when you label somebody that.”
And then he goes on to talk about how he expects the Red Dirt crowd to turn its back on him.
- The Bluegrass Blog’s John Lawless calls Hymns From the Hills, the newest release from Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers, one of the finest bluegrass Gospel records of the past few years. Check out song samples here.
- Music Fog posted a video of the super-talented Canadian duo Madison Violet performing “Small of My Heart.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.