Miranda Lambert Takes Revolution to the Ryman; Lee Ann Womack To Host ACM Honors
- Revolution at the Ryman: Miranda Lambert plans to play all the new tracks from her upcoming album, Revolution, in sequence at the Ryman Auditorium just five days before its Sept. 29 release.
- The second annual ACM Honors, a ceremony honoring the off-camera category winners of the Academy of Country Music Awards, will be hosted by Lee Ann Womack on Sept. 22. Special Award recipients include Merle Haggard, Harlan Howard, Dolly Parton, Jerry Reed, Kenny Rogers, Randy Travis, Hank Williams Jr, and more.
- Luke Bryan‘s second album, Doin’ My Thing, is scheduled for an Oct. 6 release.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox digs Satisfied, the recent digital re-release from Ashley Monroe, who he says “sounds every bit as heartbroken as Tammy Wynette on lovelorn ballads and holds her own with Dwight Yoakam on a spunky duet of “That’s Why We Call Each Other Baby.”
- The Gobblers Knob’s Kelly Dearmore digs the new Bonnaroo live set from Zac Brown Band.
- Star-Telegram pop critic Preston Jones on the new Gloriana record:
The result is a record that feels numbingly familiar from its opening notes; only the naive will spend the full 47 minutes expecting Gloriana to trot out anything fresh or exciting. Gloriana is pretty — multiple-part harmonies are relied on for a reason — and it’s mostly vapid (if any of the vocalists ever uttered a line that had any nuance to it, it’s fleeting).
- Possibly Farce the Music’s best parody yet: “People Are Lazy.”
- The Austin Chronicle published an interesting article on Polly Parsons, the daughter of Gram Parsons, her tumultuous past, and the opening of Hickory Wind Ranch, a sober living environment she’s created for women in entertainment and the arts who are in recovery from alcohol and drugs. Plus she thinks it’s righteous that her father was taken into Joshua Tree desert and his body burned by his road manager/best friend.
“As a matter of fact, I think that’s so righteous! Right on! God, I hope that I die with people who love me enough to carry out my crazy wishes! I’m glad! And when it came to being my father’s daughter, I realized that truth be told, I’m just the luckiest Gram Parsons fan. I’m just as passionate about his music today as when I was 12 and it was forbidden in my home.”
- Leeann Ward listed 12 essential Travis Tritt songs as part of Country Universe’s ongoing coverage of ’90s artists.
- Tim McGraw has a role in The Blind Side, a new movie due out in November. And in other movie news, Jennifer Aniston is set to star in Goree Girls, a film about a group of convicted felons who formed one of the first all-girl country western acts.
- If you missed the Dailey & Vincent video for “On The Other Side,” you can now watch it on YouTube.
- Houston Press’ William Michael Smith recounts his son’s journey from a petroleum engineering student to Hayes Carll‘s guitar player. Smith the father recalled one particular phone call from Smith the son, Lance, after he played a gig with Carll in Nashville:
“Dad, do you know what scared is?”
“No, son, I’m sure I don’t. What is it?”
“Well, we sound-checked early, so the stage is all set up when they announce us and we walk out. So I get out there, pick up my guitar, and I’m checking my tuner and my eyes are getting accustomed to the stage lights. Finally I can start to make out people in the audience. And I look down and Guy Clark is sitting right in front of me at the first table with his arms folded, looking right at me like, ‘All right, kid, show me something.’ It was pretty intimidating.”
The next chapter began last night, when Lance strapped on his Telecaster for Mike Stinson. (via Twang Nation)
- The 15th Annual Inspirational Country Music Awards Show is slated for Oct. 15.
- Prefacing the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibit Brenda Lee: Dynamite, which opens Aug. 7, Edd Hurt profiled Lee’s career for Nashville Scene.
- George Strait talks about Twang in a new video that’s making the rounds.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …