Miranda Lambert Slates Acoustic DVD; Randy Travis Prepares Duet Album with McGraw, Chesney and Underwood
- Miranda Lambert is scheduled to release a six-song acoustic performance DVD titled Revolution: Live By Candlelight on Oct. 12.
- Early next year, to celebrate his 25th year as a major-label artist, Randy Travis will release a new album of collaborations:
“I’ve been in the studio already quite a few times at this point,” he says, “and have recorded with Josh Turner, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson.”
The release will be a mix of old and new. For example, Travis says he recorded a new tune with Tim McGraw and did a medley and a new track with Jackson. Another collaborator is John Anderson. With Anderson, a friend for nearly 30 years, Travis redid his song “Diggin’ Up Bones.” “I didn’t know this,” Travis says, “but when it was written, there was actually a third verse to the song, and we added that on the record, and it’s hilarious.”
Underwood, too, is “gonna be in the studio with us,” he says. “She wants to do something old, and I don’t even know what we’re going to do yet.”
- That Nashville Sound and Country Universe both have contests to win Trace Adkins‘ new album Cowboy’s Back In Town.
- Corsicana, Texas, the birthplace of Billy Joe Shaver, plans to honor its famous son through the renaming of a portion of 15th Street and declaring Oct. 12 Billy Joe “Appreciation Day.”
- Guitarist-singer Kenny Edwards, who played an important role in launching Linda Ronstadt‘s career, passed away last Wednesday at the age of 64.
- While playing in Chicago last Thursday, the Zac Brown Band performed several new songs. Alison Bonaguro has the details:
[...] Brown did another new one he called “my favorite song we’ve ever written.” The selection, “Colder Weather,” is a solid country ballad about being born for leaving and having a gypsy soul to blame. Brown didn’t say why it was his favorite, but the fans seemed to echo his sentiment even though most were hearing it for the first time.
- Kenny Chesney previewed his new record for Billboard, discussing the 11 songs track by track. There’s no telling how the songs will turn out, but it has a nice lineup of songwriters.
- Jim Lauderdale commented on five records that inspire him in Sounds Country’s newest edition of Five Records.
- From Country California’s Fake News: Curb Records plans to release a Greatest Hits 4 album of all new material from Tim McGraw:
“These people are *%$&ing nuts, man. I thought Shelton [Hank Williams III] just had a burr in his saddle with all his complaining, but naw… Curb’s bat sh*t,” McGraw grumbled. “I mean, Clay Walker’s not even happy here! Clay Freaking Walker, who wouldn’t curse you if you took a leak on his kid’s puppy!”
- Jason Aldean‘s fourth studio album, My Kind of Party, is due Nov. 2.
- CMT has a couple of new videos:
- Country Universe’s countdown of the 400 greatest singles of the nineties inched closer to the top last Friday with numbers 75 through 51.
- Ryan Bingham‘s new album, Junky Star, won’t come until next week, but he’s already working on a new project — music for a film being developed by his wife, writer/director Anna Axster.
- The Boot premiered the new video for Bo Bice‘s song “You Take Yourself With You.”
- Country California: Quotable Country – 08/22/10 Edition
- Chris King is giving away his two EPs, Bexar County EP and This New Almanac EP, for free — not even an email address is required to download.
- In 1979, Rosanne Cash lost a guitar at the airport while honeymooning with Rodney Crowell. The guitar was a gift from Cash’s father and even had a handwritten note in its sound hole.
“Somewhere, someone has my guitar and knows damn well it belongs to me …”
And Cash expects that, someday, the guitar will be returned to her.
“If my dad, from his perch in the other world, wanted to do something really great for me, he might hasten its return. I’m sure he knows where it is by now.”
Band of Heathens performed “L.A. County Blues” in a recent video for Texas Music TV (performance starts at 2:18).
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.