Miranda Lambert Leads ACM Awards Nominees; New Album Release List; Free Downloads
- ACM Award nominees were announced. Miranda Lambert leads all other artists with seven nominations. She’s followed by Zac Brown Band and Kenny Chesney, who scored five each, and The Band Perry and Taylor Swift, with four apiece.
- Country music is in trouble.
New releases for the week of February 1, 2011 include:
Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers – Hymns From The Hills
Mick Reed – Goodnight, Texas
- Songs:Illinois highlighted the song “The Year of Getting By” from the Oklahoma-based band Kill County, which is described as having “an affinity for sad sack americana-inflected alt-country.”
- Joe Nichols on missed opportunities:
‘Who Are You’ is one of the mistakes you make along the way; the woulda, coulda, shoulda that has happened, and you just wished things would’ve been different,” Joe tells The Boot. “When we cut [it], I begged everybody who would listen, I begged for that to be a single, for that to be the first single. But a lot of people who get paid a lot more than I do make a lot of the calls, and it didn’t go my way. That song was brilliantly written, and the production Brent Rowan did on it was immaculate. He just did a fantastic job, and I was really proud of my part. I really thought that it could have been a really special song for us.”
Click through to watch Blake Shelton perform the song acoustically as part of Aol’s Sessions.
- Free Downloads: “Barton Hollow,” the title track from The Civil Wars, is the iTunes single of the week and Chris Young‘s “The Man I Want To Be” is available from Amazon MP3.
- It’s been a busy morning, so the news is a little abbreviated today. We’ll be back tomorrow with a full roundup.
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.