Miranda Lambert Leads ACM Awards Nominees; New Album Release List; Free Downloads
- ACM Award nominees were announced. Miranda Lambert leads all other artists with seven nominations. She’s followed by Zac Brown Band and Kenny Chesney, who scored five each, and The Band Perry and Taylor Swift, with four apiece.
- Country music is in trouble.
New releases for the week of February 1, 2011 include:
Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers – Hymns From The Hills
Mick Reed – Goodnight, Texas
- Songs:Illinois highlighted the song “The Year of Getting By” from the Oklahoma-based band Kill County, which is described as having “an affinity for sad sack americana-inflected alt-country.”
- Joe Nichols on missed opportunities:
‘Who Are You’ is one of the mistakes you make along the way; the woulda, coulda, shoulda that has happened, and you just wished things would’ve been different,” Joe tells The Boot. “When we cut [it], I begged everybody who would listen, I begged for that to be a single, for that to be the first single. But a lot of people who get paid a lot more than I do make a lot of the calls, and it didn’t go my way. That song was brilliantly written, and the production Brent Rowan did on it was immaculate. He just did a fantastic job, and I was really proud of my part. I really thought that it could have been a really special song for us.”
Click through to watch Blake Shelton perform the song acoustically as part of Aol’s Sessions.
- Free Downloads: “Barton Hollow,” the title track from The Civil Wars, is the iTunes single of the week and Chris Young‘s “The Man I Want To Be” is available from Amazon MP3.
- It’s been a busy morning, so the news is a little abbreviated today. We’ll be back tomorrow with a full roundup.
- Stuart Munro: I think this just moves the location of the discussion, Jack. If I named a bunch of rock artists who …
- Leeann Ward: Um, that's too much geekery for me to follow, Sam! My husband would understand you though.:)
- Jack Williams: Alabama Shakes won the AMA Emerging artist award couple of years ago. Also, classic soul influenced artists like Bettye Lavette, …
- Applejack: It certainly seems to me like the inclusion of St. Paul and the Broken Bones stretches the limits of how …
- Stuart Munro: Yes, that's the issue: is the tent so big as to have no boundaries? What *isn't* Americana? Is jazz? Is …
- Jack Williams: Um, roots music, that is.
- Jack Williams: Well, Americana is a pretty big tent. Classic southern soul falls under my personal definition of root music.
- Stuart Munro: Is it just me...or does the idea of St. Paul and the Broken Bones being an Americana act really strain …
- Sam G.: Loki Is playing Hank Williams in a new movie, and Thor bought the rights to a book about him. I …
- Roger: Fabulous interview and fantastic new music that I will listen to over and over again.