Miranda Lambert Leads ACM Awards Nominees; New Album Release List; Free Downloads
- ACM Award nominees were announced. Miranda Lambert leads all other artists with seven nominations. She’s followed by Zac Brown Band and Kenny Chesney, who scored five each, and The Band Perry and Taylor Swift, with four apiece.
- Country music is in trouble.
New releases for the week of February 1, 2011 include:
Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers – Hymns From The Hills
Mick Reed – Goodnight, Texas
- Songs:Illinois highlighted the song “The Year of Getting By” from the Oklahoma-based band Kill County, which is described as having “an affinity for sad sack americana-inflected alt-country.”
- Joe Nichols on missed opportunities:
‘Who Are You’ is one of the mistakes you make along the way; the woulda, coulda, shoulda that has happened, and you just wished things would’ve been different,” Joe tells The Boot. “When we cut [it], I begged everybody who would listen, I begged for that to be a single, for that to be the first single. But a lot of people who get paid a lot more than I do make a lot of the calls, and it didn’t go my way. That song was brilliantly written, and the production Brent Rowan did on it was immaculate. He just did a fantastic job, and I was really proud of my part. I really thought that it could have been a really special song for us.”
Click through to watch Blake Shelton perform the song acoustically as part of Aol’s Sessions.
- Free Downloads: “Barton Hollow,” the title track from The Civil Wars, is the iTunes single of the week and Chris Young‘s “The Man I Want To Be” is available from Amazon MP3.
- It’s been a busy morning, so the news is a little abbreviated today. We’ll be back tomorrow with a full roundup.
- bob: Enjoyed the articles on the story behind "When She Cries" and the dearth of women on Canadian Country radio. Thanks. …
- Saving Country Music: Everything that came out in Friday's assessment of Studio 'A' by the developer was stuff we already knew. The only …
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …