Mindy McCready Uses Her ‘Get Out of Jail Early’ Card
- Mindy McCready is getting out of jail today after serving just half of her 60-day sentence. Speaking of sentences, TMZ says she read enough of them to finish two books while in the slammer–no word on which books, though.
- Trace Adkins, George Jones and daughter Georgette, and Brad Paisley are among the artists performing at the Grande Ole Opry this weekend in honor of Little Jimmy Dickens‘ 60th anniversary.
- Little Jimmy Dickens will also be the first guest on Marty Stuart‘s country music show scheduled to debut this Saturday on RFD-TV.
- The Star-Telegram‘s Preston Jones cites Carrie Underwood‘s “appealing, girl-next-door quality” as one of her strengths, but also her biggest weakness.
But having watched her perform live does little to alter my fundamental opinion. Underwood has lucked into one of the biggest careers not only in country music but in popular music, period. Yet, maddeningly, she has little apparent substance.
- Glenn Campbell covered the Replacements tune “Sadly Beautiful” on his latest album, Meet Glenn Campbell, and now former Replacements vocalist Paul Westerberg wants to be Campbell’s next Jimmy Webb. (via Paste)
- Julianne Hough and Craig Morgan pulled hosting duties for the first-ever CMA-produced red-carpet television special before the association’s 42nd annual awards show on Nov. 12.
- Chet Flippo feels Hank: The Unreleased Recordings is one of the most important recorded music projects in recent years because of its ability to introduce a new generation to the architect of modern country music.
The 54 songs included here range widely across the spectrum, from traditional Southern gospel to Hank originals, from Appalachian ballads to a Western standard, from honky-tonk to cob-webby ancient tunes. They all share Hank Williams’ formula for musical success: total emotional commitment to the song. If he couldn’t identify with the song himself, Hank Williams could never sell it to anyone else and he well knew that.
- Music Tomes‘ C. Eric Banister discusses humor and its importance to the country music tradition with Loyal Jones, author of Country Music Humorists and Comedians. Fantastic interview.
- Is Hank Jr. contemplating a run for senator?
- George Strait, Miranda Lambert and Lee Ann Womack were just a few of the stars who gathered last night to pay tribute to Alan Jackson and tape a segment for the CMT Giants series. The actual show won’t air until Dec. 6, but forum member “bu11″ attended the live show and posted a recap..
- Just as soon as the rumors that Sam Wurzelbacher, more famously know as Joe the Plumber, were beginning to heat up (did anyone not run this story?), he went and shot them down. “I love country music, and I mean it’s pretty much what I listen to from sun-up to sundown,” he told FOX News on Thursday. “But as far as me being a country music star, I don’t know. I don’t think people are that deaf-tone out there.” However, if he were to pursue the country career, we might be reading something like this:
Samuel Wurzelbacher (aka Joe The Plumber) is on the verge of counry music stardom. His band Country Joe The Plumber & The Septic Tank Band will be going into the recording studio and recording their first album entitled, It’s My Damn Trailer So The Friggin’ Lid Stays Up.
The album features songs like “Let Me Be The One Who Fixes The Leak In Your Love Life” and “I’ve Got The Overflowing Septic Tank Blues.”
- Meanwhile, teachers in Texarkana dressed up like the gossip girls from the 1970s hit TV show HeeHaw to teach elementary students about the history of country music.
- The McCoury Music Club is live. For a $100 annual fee you’ll receive a free live show download every month, plus bonus content like exclusive studio tracks. (via BluegrassJournal.com)
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.