Mindy McCready Commits Suicide; Vince Gill, Paul Franklin Record Duets Album; New Music Videos
- Mindy McCready was found dead yesterday afternoon from what appeared to be a single, self-inflicted gunshot wound, reports the Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office. She was 37 and leaves behind two young sons. TMZ reports that McCready also shot her dog. Billboard and the Tennessean are two of the many outlets that have posted obituaries and remembrances.
- Pam Tillis took to Facebook to post a lovely remembrance of McCready.
- Vince Gill and Paul Franklin recorded a duets album, reports Chuck Dauphin of Billboard. Gill also says he’ll “probably” also make a bluegrass record this year.
- Peter Cooper wrote a fine Tennessean article about meeting musical heroes.
- Randy Lewis of The Los Angeles Times remembers Waylon Jennings: While Jennings scored some of his biggest hits with uptempo songs that oozed testosterone, such as “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way,” “I’ve Always Been Crazy” and “I’m a Ramblin’ Man,” many of his greatest performances were the ballads, which he delivered with uncommon sensitivity.
- Alabama Shakes played Saturday Night Live.
- Zoe Guigueno is the new bass player for Joy Kills Sorrow.
- Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver finished work on a new record that is expected to be released in March.
- Jon Bream of the Star Tribune caught one of George Strait’s farewell concerts.
- Several country artists saw an increase in sales following the Grammy Awards.
- Here’s a new Quotable Country.
- Mary Gauthier is American Songwriter’s Writer of the Week.
- Stream the new Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside record.
- CMT Edge premiered a new song from Luke Winslow-King.
- Max Gomez was interviewed by Brian T. Atkinson of CMT Edge.
- Tonight, Eddie Stubbs hosts Don Williams and Garth Fundis on WSM.
- American Songwriter profiled the “spooky, slow-smoked dustbowl blues” of Sam Doores + Riley Downing & The Tumbleweeds.
- Chuck Wicks is releasing a new EP, Rough, on April 2.
- Whitney Duncan released a new EP last week. Hers is titled One Shot and features a duet with Jonathan Singleton.
- Recent music videos:
Elizabeth South and Vince Gill – “I Love You”
Thompson Square – “If I Didn’t Have You”
Eric Church – “Like Jesus Does” (acoustic)
Blake Shelton – “Sure Be Cool If You Did”
Steep Canyon Rangers – “Rescue Me”
Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors – “Good Light”
Artie Hemphill & The Iron Horse Band – “Makin’ Hay”
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …