Mindy McCready Commits Suicide; Vince Gill, Paul Franklin Record Duets Album; New Music Videos
- Mindy McCready was found dead yesterday afternoon from what appeared to be a single, self-inflicted gunshot wound, reports the Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office. She was 37 and leaves behind two young sons. TMZ reports that McCready also shot her dog. Billboard and the Tennessean are two of the many outlets that have posted obituaries and remembrances.
- Pam Tillis took to Facebook to post a lovely remembrance of McCready.
- Vince Gill and Paul Franklin recorded a duets album, reports Chuck Dauphin of Billboard. Gill also says he’ll “probably” also make a bluegrass record this year.
- Peter Cooper wrote a fine Tennessean article about meeting musical heroes.
- Randy Lewis of The Los Angeles Times remembers Waylon Jennings: While Jennings scored some of his biggest hits with uptempo songs that oozed testosterone, such as “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way,” “I’ve Always Been Crazy” and “I’m a Ramblin’ Man,” many of his greatest performances were the ballads, which he delivered with uncommon sensitivity.
- Alabama Shakes played Saturday Night Live.
- Zoe Guigueno is the new bass player for Joy Kills Sorrow.
- Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver finished work on a new record that is expected to be released in March.
- Jon Bream of the Star Tribune caught one of George Strait’s farewell concerts.
- Several country artists saw an increase in sales following the Grammy Awards.
- Here’s a new Quotable Country.
- Mary Gauthier is American Songwriter’s Writer of the Week.
- Stream the new Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside record.
- CMT Edge premiered a new song from Luke Winslow-King.
- Max Gomez was interviewed by Brian T. Atkinson of CMT Edge.
- Tonight, Eddie Stubbs hosts Don Williams and Garth Fundis on WSM.
- American Songwriter profiled the “spooky, slow-smoked dustbowl blues” of Sam Doores + Riley Downing & The Tumbleweeds.
- Chuck Wicks is releasing a new EP, Rough, on April 2.
- Whitney Duncan released a new EP last week. Hers is titled One Shot and features a duet with Jonathan Singleton.
- Recent music videos:
Elizabeth South and Vince Gill – “I Love You”
Thompson Square – “If I Didn’t Have You”
Eric Church – “Like Jesus Does” (acoustic)
Blake Shelton – “Sure Be Cool If You Did”
Steep Canyon Rangers – “Rescue Me”
Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors – “Good Light”
Artie Hemphill & The Iron Horse Band – “Makin’ Hay”
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...