Miley Cyrus and Sugarland Duke It Out For Top Spot
- Miley Cyrus and Sugarland are duking it out for the top spot on next week’s Billboard 200. Cyrus stood at 110,000 sales while Sugarland wasn’t far behind with sales of 108,000 at the close of the business day yesterday.
- Country music bad girl Mindy McCready admitted herself to a treatment facility, following a trip to the emergency room last week. A source close to McCready’s management told E! News that the singer checked into the hospital after overdosing on the sleeping pill Ambien while ingesting vodka. TMZ is reporting it as a failed suicide attempt.
- The Listening Post’s Eliot Van Buskirk asks: “Does associating a band with a brand constitute a dangerous loss of credibility on the band’s part, or should artists be thankful that at least somebody’s paying them, and happily cash the check?” The 9513 reader Peter Kohan brought up the same topic back in March on his own blog, Appetite for Disruption, and insists that all artists need to “sell out” to corporate interests at some stage in their career.
- Jamey Johnson has a new website.
- In an article for Sports Illustrated Vince Gill talks about his love for golf and draws comparisons between the game and being a musician: (via NashvilleGab)
The biggest parallel between golf and music is the creativity. You have to have a creative mind to figure out how to play a shot. You must also develop the physical repetition and muscle memory–those are the same in playing a musical instrument as they are in golf. And there is as much reward in hitting a really great shot as there is in hitting the perfect notes while singing or playing a song.
- In other Vince news, he’s tearing a page out of the James Taylor playbook and going on an acoustic tour.
- PopMatters’ Aarik Danielsen heaps more praise on the Hacienda Brothers‘ Arizona Motel, even dubbing it one of the best country albums of the year.
- For some, an obsession with Dolly Parton is a way of life and you can watch their stories in the new DVD, For the Love of Dolly. Craig Shelburne posted a trailer and gives us the synopsis:
The film follows the lives of a handful of extreme Dolly Parton fans. One young man surprised his family by overcoming the struggles of a serious illness by taking up Dolly as a hobby. (He makes gifts to give her during her annual Dollywood parade.) One middle-aged couple’s Dolly collection threatens to take over their home. And finally, two young ladies… well, their obsession is more than a little disturbing. For example, one girl takes a splinter of wood from the replica cabin at Dollywood, matches the color at Home Depot and remodels the back of her house to look exactly like the cabin. Yikes.
- Why didn’t anyone tell Jeff Bates he was rich? (via Roughstock)
- Scott Shumway and his band Mama’s Boys, consisting of his five sons, were scheduled to play this past Saturday at Showtime Utah in Pleasant Grove, Utah. Unfortunately Scott had to have emergency surgery two hours before showtime. The band told the audience what had happened, and to their surprise, Collin Raye was in the audience and volunteered to help them out.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.