Merle Haggard Receives Honorary Doctorate; Kellie Pickler to Co-Host The View; New Music Videos
- Jay Leno spoofed Taylor Swift’s “22.” His version is called “63.”
- Holly Gleason blogged from Bonnaroo.
- Peter Cooper wrote a feature about a Johnny Cash puppet. (It’ll make more sense after you click the link.)
- Beck’s beer has made a bottle that can play music when played on a device similar to Edison’s cylindrical phonograph.
- The June 24 Country Weekly cover story gives an update on Glen Campbell’s battle with Alzheimer’s.
- Kellie Pickler will co-host The View tomorrow as well as perform her new single on the show.
- Merle Haggard received an honorary doctorate from California State University Bakersfield. The late Buck Owens was honored with the university’s President’s Medal, which was accepted on his behalf by his son.
- Keith Urban will be appearing on Buddy Guy’s new album, which is due for release in July.
- The 20th Annual Springer Mountain Farms Bluegrass Nights at the Ryman concert series launches Thursday with a performance by Vince Gill. Ricky Skaggs, Doyle Lawson, Ralph Stanley, and Dailey and Vincent are just some of the other artists scheduled to perform through the rest of the summer.
- Toby Keith was awarded the National Music Publishers Association’s 2013 Songwriter Icon Award.
- Stephen Deusner interviewed Jason Isbell for CMT Edge.
- Banjo player Joe Dean joined Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver.
- Sony/ATV signed Jack Ingram to a publishing deal. I had a chance to talk to Jack at Golf & Guitars and he’s hoping to have a new album out by the end of this year.
- Chuck Dauphin compares Jason Boland & The Stragglers’ Dark and Dirty Mile to the “great traditional work that Merle Haggard did for MCA in the late 1970s and early 1980s.”
- Johnny Smith, the jazz guitarist that wrote “Walk, Don’t Run,” which was recorded by Chet Atkins, among others, passed away on June 12 at the age of 90.
- The Bankesters are working on a new album that will be released this fall.
- You’ll be able to eat Graham Ole Opry ice cream soon. Yum.
- Noah Berlatsky reviewed the book Hidden in the Mix: The African-American Presence in Country Music.
- Donna Ulisse will release a collection of her favorite gospel songs on June 25; the release, called I Am a Child of God, includes two new songs, “Wait a Little Longer, Please, Jesus” and “This is My Father’s World.”
- Next week Stephen Fearing (Blackie & The Rodeo Kings) kicks off a streaming concert series. (h/t Donald Teplyske)
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Green River Ordinance – “It Ain’t Love”
Gary Allan – “Pieces”
Billy Bragg – “Handyman Blues”
Willie Nelson and Neil Young – “Long May You Run”
Weston Burt – “Lucky Sometimes”
Stephen Kellogg – “Crosses”
The Wild Feathers – “Hard Wind”
Travis Tritt featuring Tyler Reese – “Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.