Merle Haggard Cancels Shows; Preview Terri Clark; Rock Bands’ Country; Plus Free Music
- Merle Haggard canceled the remaining five dates of his current tour because of head and neck pain.
- Groover’s Paradise recommended “Foggy Mountain Top” from Carlene Carter and provided audio for her version and The Carter Family version for comparison.
- In a case of the rich getting richer, Los Angeles’ honky-tonk king Mike Stinson left California for Texas. Houston to be exact.
“People kept telling me I ought to move to Austin,” Stinson says, “but the more I thought about it and how many of my old L.A. friends have relocated there, I just thought, “no.” I don’t really know why, but Houston just seems like my kind of town. I’ve loved it every time I’ve played here.”
Visit his MySpace for several new tunes from his upcoming album, The Jukebox In Your Heart. If anything, do yourself a favor and listen to “Square With the World.”
- “Drunk Dialer,” the first single from Miss Leslie‘s upcoming album, is available for download on her website. She’s also our newest The 9513 contributor and writes her own column, Miss Leslie’s Honky Tonk Happy Hour.
- The Country Track Pack for the video game Rock Band will be released tomorrow with 21 songs from artists as mainstream as Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban to artists not, uh, as mainstream like Cross Canadian Ragweed, Drive-By Truckers and Lucinda Williams. Check out the full track list on the Rock Band website.
- In an interview with Country Universe’s Leeann Ward, Rory Feek talks about where he and wife Joey Martin fit in with today’s country:
First off, we had a pretty strong sense that we weren’t going to win [CMT’s Can You Duet], even before the show was over. We just were not a major market act. Actually, we are a mainstream act. But mainstream has turned so far that people who are mainstream acts have to go somewhere else. And people that are rock acts, pop acts, they’re now all of a sudden mainstream acts or what mainstream labels want.
- Terri Clark released Road Rage, a new live album which can be picked up at her concerts or downloaded on Amazon. She also published audio previews, commentary and lyrics for two new songs, “A Million Ways To Run” and “What Happens In Vegas (Follows You Home),” from her upcoming studio album, The Long Way Home.
- Is country crushing Nashville’s creativity?
Sociologists have begun arguing about whether Nashville’s music scene is really all that creative. Although the city has grown tremendously over the past few decades, in part because of the music industry, some say country music’s dominance drowns out different sounds here and puts the future of the industry at risk.
- If you’re looking for genuine country with a little twang that makes heartache and the tears flow into the beer, then Texas Music Matters recommends Mike and the Moonpies (MySpace). The Alt-512 Music Musings blog endorsed the band a couple of months ago as well, and provided links to download their album Lyin’ at no charge.
- Rediscover a dozen ’80s country artists, from Rosanne Cash and Willie Nelson to Ronnie Milsap and Anne Murray, with Craig Shelburne’s most recent list. He even lists a few choice cuts and current artists creating music in the same vein as their ’80s predecessor.
- The Friends of Old Time Music blog posted a vinyl rip of Jimmy Martin & The Sunny Mountain Boys 1968 album Tennessee. Good stuff.
- My Kind of Country: Which artists are you trying to complete the discographies of? Why?
- A Truer Sound created and posted a link to a compilation of murder ballads and songs about killin’, which includes songs from The Louvin Brothers, Doc Watson, Johnny Cash and more.
- Also from A Truer Sound are bootlegs from a 1983 show with Jerry Jeff Walker and Joe Ely at Antone’s and a Buddy Miller set from 2005’s Merlefest.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …