Mel Tillis Plans Book Release; Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s Drummer, Injured in Car Crash; Album Releases
- Mel Tillis has a book in the works for release later this year.
- Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s drummer, was hospitalized with serious injuries following a car accident in Kentucky on Saturday.
- T Bone Burnett shares his musical influences with Vulture.
- Hank Williams III has two records in the works.
- The New Yorker published a piece on Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale.
- There’s an article on Emmylou Harris in The Guardian.
- Hidden in the Mix: The African American Presence in Country Music, a collection edited by Diane Pecknold, will be released in June through Duke University Press.
- A hip-hop fan caught her first Jason Aldean show at Madison Square Garden.
- Here are a few videos from Teea Goans’ recent visit to WZTV. (warning: autoplay)
- Miranda Lambert’s new video for “Mama’s Broken Heart” premiered yesterday.
- Rolling Stone premiered Ashley Monroe’s new album.
- The American Songwriter Lyric of the Week is Merle Haggard’s “Mama Tried.”
- The Lone Bellow played an NPR Tiny Desk Concert.
- Jewly Hight interviewed Holly Williams, who is part of CMT’s Next Women of Country campaign.
- On Sunday, CMT will briefly pause from airing My Big Redneck Vacation and Swamp Pawn to air the hour-long program Mindy McCready: Fallen Angel.
- Honeyhoney played a few for CMT’s Concrete Country.
- Time for another edition of Quotable Country.
- Trace Adkins’ next record, Love Will…, will be released on Show Dog-Universal this spring.
- Craig Hlavaty of the Houston Press reviewed Zac Brown Band’s recent show (which included a “Southern-stank” version of Metallica’s “Enter Sandman”) at Reliant Stadium.
- There was a lengthy feature on Mary Gauthier in the Cape Cod Times.
- Stephen Deusner gives five stars to Alan Greenberg’s book Love in Vain: A Vision of Robert Johnson.
- An interview with Daniel Rodriguez of “indie-folk” band Elephant Revival, was posted on Jambands.com.
- Singer-songwriter Coles Whalen and Loren Ellis (lead guitarist for Easton Corbin) have collaborated “to create a catchy new album to help children learn math.”
- Peter Cooper wrote a feature on Ashley Monroe for the Tennessean.
- Dana Fuchs is a blues-rock force of nature, writes Hubert O’Hearn for AmericanBluesScene.com.
- This week’s album releases:
Ashley Monroe – Like a Rose
The Howlin’ Brothers – Howl
Bruce Molsky – If It Ain’t Here When I Get Back
Son Volt – Honky Tonk
Nakia – Drown in the Crimson Tide
Old Man Markley – Down Side Up
Poco – All Fired Up
Great Peacock – Great Peacock (EP)
Bow Thayer and Perfect Trainwreck – Eden
Caitlin Rose – The Stand-In
Luke Bryan – Spring Break…Here to Party
Shannon Whitworth – High Tide
Gurf Morlix – Gurf Morlix Finds the Present Tense
Lonesome Wyatt and the Holy Spooks – Ghost Ballads
The Danberrys – The Danberrys
Kevin Flynn & The Avondale Ramblers – The Broken Pavement of Avondale
Various Artists – The Sun Country Box: Country Music Recorded by Sam Phillips 1950-1959
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!