Mel Tillis Leaves Hospital; Kentucky State Senator Proposes Bluegrass Music Trail; New Music Videos
- Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars.
- Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, released as a CD on June 3.
- Lady Antebellum will perform with Stevie Nicks at the ACM Awards on April 6.
- Two of Peter Cooper’s favorite Nashville music venues, houses owned by Cowboy Jack Clement and Earl Scruggs, are for sale. Scruggs’ house was previously owned by George Jones and Tammy Wynette.
- CMT has an April 22 release date listed for a new Corb Lund album called Counterfeit Blues.
- The righteous C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country column over at California Country.
- This is a video interview on how “Slow Me Down” became the centerpiece of Sara Evans’ new album.
- And here’s a video interview on how Paul Simon inspired Robert Ellis’ latest album, The Lights from the Chemical Plant.
- Jamie Lynn Spears got hitched.
- Looks like Taylor Swift might be on an upcoming episode of The Food Network’s The Barefoot Contessa.
- Charlie Robison made some Facebook posts on Saturday stating that he was inexplicably handcuffed and kept in the back of a police squad car over the weekend.
- Kyle, aka Saving Country Music’s Trigger, discusses why SXSW will have to change after last week’s tragic incident where two people were killed and 23 injured when a drunk driver crashed into a crowd of people.
- Tracy Lawrence talked with Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin about running his own label.
- Orange Blossom Records signed the Trinity River Band.
- MusicFog.com posted a new video of Lake Street Dive performing “Hello? Goodbye!”
- State Senator Robin Webb has put together a proposal urging the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet to create the “Bluegrass Beaten Path Music Trail.”
- Rachele Lynae will release her self-titled debut album (produced by Jamie O’Neal) April 22 on the Momentum Label Group.
- Pioneers of Americana Music, Craig Harris’ new biography of The Band,will be released on April 16.
- Jimmy Rankin (of Canada’s The Rankin Family) will release a new solo album called Back Road Paradise on April 1.
- AOL counted down the 16 best moments at the Grand Ole Opry House.
- Meet Michael Cummins, a former prosecutor and judge, now a defense attorney and aspiring country music singer.
- Mel Tillis is home after a week in the hospital following heart surgery.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Trenton McKean – “I Smoked My Last Cigarette”
Hunter Hayes – “Invisible”
Grant Terry (featuring Jillian Edwards) – “In the Middle”
SHEL – “When the Sky Fell”
Sara Oliveira – “Always”
Marc Ford – “Blue Sky”
The McClymonts – “Going Under (Didn’t Have To)”
David Fanning – “Drink You Away”
Tim McGraw – “Lookin’ for That Girl”
Chuck Mead – “Knee Deep in the Wakarusa River”
The Easy Leaves – “Crack Another Bottle”
Moore & Moore – “Show Me Your Country”
Jon Langford – “Weightless”
Sara Evans – “Not Over You”
Stevie Lee Woods – “Hey! What Do I Know?”
Johnny Cash – “She Used To Love Me A Lot”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.