Mel Tillis Leaves Hospital; Kentucky State Senator Proposes Bluegrass Music Trail; New Music Videos
- Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars.
- Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, released as a CD on June 3.
- Lady Antebellum will perform with Stevie Nicks at the ACM Awards on April 6.
- Two of Peter Cooper’s favorite Nashville music venues, houses owned by Cowboy Jack Clement and Earl Scruggs, are for sale. Scruggs’ house was previously owned by George Jones and Tammy Wynette.
- CMT has an April 22 release date listed for a new Corb Lund album called Counterfeit Blues.
- The righteous C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country column over at California Country.
- This is a video interview on how “Slow Me Down” became the centerpiece of Sara Evans’ new album.
- And here’s a video interview on how Paul Simon inspired Robert Ellis’ latest album, The Lights from the Chemical Plant.
- Jamie Lynn Spears got hitched.
- Looks like Taylor Swift might be on an upcoming episode of The Food Network’s The Barefoot Contessa.
- Charlie Robison made some Facebook posts on Saturday stating that he was inexplicably handcuffed and kept in the back of a police squad car over the weekend.
- Kyle, aka Saving Country Music’s Trigger, discusses why SXSW will have to change after last week’s tragic incident where two people were killed and 23 injured when a drunk driver crashed into a crowd of people.
- Tracy Lawrence talked with Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin about running his own label.
- Orange Blossom Records signed the Trinity River Band.
- MusicFog.com posted a new video of Lake Street Dive performing “Hello? Goodbye!”
- State Senator Robin Webb has put together a proposal urging the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet to create the “Bluegrass Beaten Path Music Trail.”
- Rachele Lynae will release her self-titled debut album (produced by Jamie O’Neal) April 22 on the Momentum Label Group.
- Pioneers of Americana Music, Craig Harris’ new biography of The Band,will be released on April 16.
- Jimmy Rankin (of Canada’s The Rankin Family) will release a new solo album called Back Road Paradise on April 1.
- AOL counted down the 16 best moments at the Grand Ole Opry House.
- Meet Michael Cummins, a former prosecutor and judge, now a defense attorney and aspiring country music singer.
- Mel Tillis is home after a week in the hospital following heart surgery.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Trenton McKean – “I Smoked My Last Cigarette”
Hunter Hayes – “Invisible”
Grant Terry (featuring Jillian Edwards) – “In the Middle”
SHEL – “When the Sky Fell”
Sara Oliveira – “Always”
Marc Ford – “Blue Sky”
The McClymonts – “Going Under (Didn’t Have To)”
David Fanning – “Drink You Away”
Tim McGraw – “Lookin’ for That Girl”
Chuck Mead – “Knee Deep in the Wakarusa River”
The Easy Leaves – “Crack Another Bottle”
Moore & Moore – “Show Me Your Country”
Jon Langford – “Weightless”
Sara Evans – “Not Over You”
Stevie Lee Woods – “Hey! What Do I Know?”
Johnny Cash – “She Used To Love Me A Lot”
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …