Mel McDaniel Hospitalized; Rosanne Cash Reveals The List
- Opry member Mel McDaniel is in the hospital and in a medically induced coma. The Tennessean is reporting that he suffered a heart attack in June.
- For his next album, Lyle Lovett plans to combine originals along with songs from some of his favorite Texas singer-songwriters. The yet-to-be-titled project will be released Oct. 20.
“I had a few new songs I was really eager to record, but I just didn’t have enough new songs I liked to do an entire album of my songs, to be honest,” Lovett tells Billboard.com. “So this is a combination of my songs and the approach I took on (1998’s) ‘Step Inside This House,’ ” on which he also covered material by other songwriters he likes.
- Farce the Music has a triple helping of relative size charts this week. The first compares Buddy Jewell‘s popularity in the Latino community to C.M. Wilcox‘s snark and the number of times in a given week that Taylor Swift uses “OMG” on a text. P.S. The fact that I was name-checked in one of the charts did not in any way influence my decision to link to it — ok, maybe a little. Really though, it’s funny stuff.
- No Depression announced yesterday that their entire archives our now online. Awesome.
- Rosanne Cash revealed the track list for her Oct. 3 release, The List. The 12 songs were culled from a list of “100 Essential Country Songs” that her father, Johnny Cash, gave her when she was 18.
- For a while, leading women did not play a prominent role in bluegrass music, but Barry Mazor notes that the times have changed, as evidenced by three recent Compass Records releases from Alison Brown, Missy Raines and Dale Ann Bradley.
- Michael Bialas reviewed Sara Evans‘ concert in Denver on Saturday, July 4.
- In an interview with World Cafe, Steve Earle discusses the circumstances surrounding his new album, Townes, and performs several of the songs, including a few web-only outtakes.
- Ken Tucker asks Scott Borchetta about his involvement with the second season of CMT’s Can You Duet:
When I recently asked Borchetta why his label was involved in this year’s show, he countered, “What you wanna ask me is, ‘Why the hell did you do this?'” OK, fair interpretation.
“I’ve wanted to work with CMT, but I didn’t expect it to be this,” Borchetta told me. “They said, ‘We’re interested in you being a judge.’ I said, ‘I don’t act. I don’t make TV shows. So, I’m not going to worry about that part. I can’t promise you that I make good TV. I can be myself, and I’ll give you my opinion. If we’re going to do this, I’m going to treat this like an A&R opportunity. If you’re going to screen hundreds of artists, then I’m going to have my A&R crew with me at every stop.’
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope reviewed the new Rhonda Vincent record, Destination Life.
- Four of the songs from Radney Foster‘s upcoming album, Revival, are available on his MySpace. Look for “A Little Revival,” “Until It’s Gone,” “Angel Flight” and “Forgiveness.”
- Jennette McCurdy, an actress on the popular Nickelodeon show iCarly, took to her MySpace blog to inform fans that she signed a contract with Capitol Nashville.
- The Texas Music Matters song of the day is Charlie Robison‘s “Nothin’ Better To Do,” which he recorded during at session at Studio 1A and can be downloaded on the TMM website.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …