Mean Old Man Jerry Lee Lewis; New Releases; Asleep At the Wheel vs. Lyle Lovett and His Large Band
- Jerry Lee Lewis‘ first country CD since the ’70s will be released later this year and will feature several tracks written by Kris Kristofferson. The first single, “Mean Old Man,” is available on iTunes.
New releases for the week of August 25, 2009 include:
Jason Aldean – Wide Open: Live and More (DVD)
- In a Q&A with Washington City Paper, Ray Benson named several bands he considers contemporaries of western swing, commented on the differences between the Nashville and Austin music scenes, and pondered the size of his band and Lyle Lovett’s Large Band to determine who would win in a bar fight.
- GAC and CMT recapped the recent Leadership Music Event honoring Garth Brooks, Allen Reynolds, and Jim Foglesong.
- Bluegrass group Grasstowne has a new CD, The Other Side of Town, due out on Oct. 6, but they’ve decided to go ahead and ship any orders from their website between now and the release date.
- Listen to “I Can See the Pines Are Dancing” from A.A. Bondy‘s upcoming album, When The Devil’s Loose, and a version of “Mightiest of Guns” — also on the new album — from his live session with Hear Ya.
- Despite being a son of Texas, Pat Green was honored last Friday when the governor of Illinois declared the day Pat Green Day.
- In his whole career, Willis Alan Ramsey only released one album, but Saving Country Music doesn’t believe “it is a stretch to put him at the top of the elite list of artists who heavily influenced the Outlaw Country and Texas singer-songwriter scene.”
- If you like your acoustic music with a healthy dose of kazoo, check out the video of Scott Miller performing “People Who Rule” at Music Fog.
- Country Universe has a three-question questionnaire about your country music firsts.
- Have you ever wondered what 1,859 guitars players would sound like playing “Luckenbach, Texas” at the same time? Wonder no more.
- Find out how the actual size of Jason Aldean‘s tractor compares to how itchy Blake Shelton‘s Twitter finger is at Farce the music.
- Steve Earle on his decision to record “Pancho & Lefty” for his recent Townes Van Zandt tribute album:
“What you do the first day in jail is pick the biggest guy in the yard and knock him out and then you get to keep your radio,” he said. “On that basis, I recorded this song.”
- Listen to “Tales of the Islander” from Caroline Herring‘s upcoming album, Golden Apples of the Sun. Good stuff.
- Watch the live stream of Jack Ingram attempting to break the record for most number of interview with radio stations in a 24-hour period.
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.