March ’09 Mailbag: Where is Big Kenny?
Where is Big Kenny?
With the recent release of John Rich’s sophomore solo album Son of a Preacher Man, Big Kenny graciously decided to lay low for once and allow his partner Rich to share some of the spotlight. – Jim
What does George Strait sing?
Cash money, set to music. — Karlie
How to make the climb by Miley?
You can’t without a one-hit-wonder dad who wants to live vicariously through you. – Pierce
I don’t think my girlfriend would approve. — Jim
Why did Alan Jackson name it “Sissy’s Song?”
Being the son of a small-town Southern man, Alan Jackson feels less masculine when sharing his feelings. That, or Sissy was the nickname of the woman he wrote the song about. – CMW
What song is the one with the video of the girl losing her boyfriend?
This could be a ton of different songs, but I’ll bet you mean Rascal Flatts’ video for “What Hurts the Most,” which is way over the top, but totally great at the same time. “I saw you. ‘Weep weep.’ I saw you.” Good stuff. – Ben
What is the ring of fire and what happens there and what is meat?
It’s June Carter and Merle Kilgore’s metaphor for falling in love, and for a brief moment it was also a proposed ad campaign for hemorrhoid cream. — Juli
I have no idea what meat is. – Jim
What are the best songs to listen to in war?
Try these: The 9513’s Playlist–Top 20 War & Soldier Songs. – Jim
What kind of impact have The Lost Trailers had on the music world?
They’ve made critics occasionally regret our choice of profession. – Jim
Did something happen to Randy Travis’ voice?
I hadn’t thought of this, but you’re probably right. There’s no way a voice can sound that rad naturally. I’m thinking that first he went down to the crossroads… – Ben
What does country music say about a person?
To quote Keith Urban “What kind of country music?” (By the way, if you answer, “The kind Keith Urban plays,” you probably don’t want to hear my opinion of what it says about you.) – Ben
Why isn’t there any new music from Jo Dee Messina?
There is, but Curb is holding it hostage until someone agrees to care about Bomshel. – CMW
I think you mean BOMSHEL. – Jim
How many fans did Rodney Atkins have in 1990?
Not many. He was only 22. He probably spent his time playin’ baseball on a dusty ole field out by the farm, chasin’ girls, ridin’ tractors, shootin’ BBs at ole beer cans and buyin’ lemonade on a hot summer day. You know, just doin’ what Americans do. – Pierce
What does it mean to call a woman a firecracker?
Women love it when dudes conflate them with explosives dating back to dynastic China, you silver-tongued devil. – Juli
It means that you picked her up at a shed on the side of the road and will blow her off soon. – CMW
Is George Jones good in concert?
When he shows up. – Karlie
What ever happened to Ty Herndon?
Did someone call? I happened to be in the area. Anyone want to hear a song or anything? I’m not busy. – Ty Herndon
What do the lyrics to Rascal Flatts’ “Bob Your Head” mean?
That’s just an innocent little song about having good time while driving through the Sonic line. Wait. Oh. Actually… – Jim
What makes Miley Cyrus’ voice raspy?
Hannah Montana money buys lots of whiskey and cigarettes. – CMW
Is there an online radio station that plays Dwight Yoakam often?
The Dwight Yoakam channel on Pandora Radio is probably a good bet. – Karlie
Who sings backup on “High Cost of Living” by Jamey Johnson?
All of Jamey’s past demons.– Karlie
Demons have surprisingly good harmony voices.– Jim
Elvis was blond!
Damn. I hope they’ll let me return all these collectible plates. — CMW
How to sound good as a duo?
Only let one member sing. Jennifer Nettles has my back on this one. – CMW
How to contact Taylor Swift?
MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, her Web site or her blog. Fan mail is sooo 2007. – Karlie
Has Taylor Swift even read “Romeo and Juliet?”
Listen, I’m tired of people making fun of Taylor Swift. And no, no she has not. – CMW
What are Miranda Lambert’s favorite things?
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. Also beer, kerosene, and shotguns. — CMW
I’m pretty sure I’m not included in the list. – Jim
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.