Mailbag: What Does Roll a Big Fat One Mean?
What does roll a big fat one mean?
It’s a cowtipping reference. Not sure why Zac Brown takes cows to the beach with him, though. — CM
Clearly you haven’t watched the Chipotle employee training video. – Juli
Is George Strait really singing in Spanish?
No, that’s Jorge, his illegitimate Mexican brother. – Pierce
What song goes “you kiss my lips, it drives me wild?”
Not sure about what song that is, but that sounds a lot like my last email to Chris Knight. – Kelly
Why did Rodney Atkins write “It’s America?”
Since the song was actually written by Brett James and Angelo Petraglia, the real question is why didn’t Atkins write “It’s America.” And the obvious answer is that he must really hate America. – CM
He didn’t write it, but he sang it because he recognized that it was time for someone in country music to finally step up and profess their patriotism. – Jim
I thought this was Mexico.
It ain’t, but we do dig fajitas and Johnny Rodriguez. – CM
Does Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” have symbolism in it?
No. But what it lacks in symbolism, it makes up in lack of symbolism. — Juli
Where is Taylor Swift going to college?
Hopefully somewhere she can actually read Romeo and Juliet. Spoiler alert: they kill themselves. — Juli
What is that song that says dang to dang dang?
Sad. – Kelly
Someone said dang to Dang Dang? For real, yo? Dang Dang needs to step up and make that fool respect. – Jim
Why did Richie McDonald leave Lonestar?
He didn’t agree with its changing artistic direction and pop leanings, so he went and recorded traditional honky tonkin’ songs such as “How Do I Just Stop.” – Karlie
He needed an outlet that was more positive, as singing heart wrenching narratives like “Mr. Mom” and “She’s Unusually Unusual” every night were driving him to the brink of depression. – Jim
Why did George Strait use that picture for Twang?
His Glamour Shots gift certificate from 1993 was about to expire. — Kelly
What are some country songs about men who have a lot of women?
John Anderson’s “Swingin’.” – Ken
Chris Knight’s “It Ain’t Easy Being Me.” – Jim
I didn’t get what I asked for, I got more lyrics.
That’s Christmas in Nashville for ya. Everyone’s a songwriter. — CM
What’s bluegrass, what isn’t?
Flatt and Scruggs, Rascal Flatts. I wish I had more questions like these on tests in school. – Pierce
I’m too afraid to answer this question. I know Jon Weisberger’s out there. – CM
What kind of music does Rascal Flatts sing?
Not bluegrass. – Pierce
Your guess is as good as mine. – Kelly
Fun, but a little gritty for our taste. — Gloriana
Who sings a country song about drinking around a bonfire?
The same dude who sings about drinkin’ on a boat and ridin’ on a tractor. – Pierce
“Ring Of Fire” by Johnny Cash – Ken
What is the best Willie Nelson album?
It’s a 98-way tie among the albums that didn’t involve Kenny Chesney. – Kelly
Country song where she is talking to Mr. Officer?
Mindy McCready; she’s backed by Doug Stone, Doug Supernaw, David Allan Coe and the late Johnny Paycheck. – Ken
When will Carrie Underwood’s new single be released?
Carrie Underwood is better than Taylor Swift. Sorry, what was the question? – CM
Who starred in Pure Country?
Alt-country/punk rock mainstay John Doe as drummer Earl Blackstock.
George Strait as George Strait + beard and ponytail. – CM
How did the hole get in Willie’s guitar?
Along life’s highways, Willie’s hit a few pot holes. – Ken
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …