Lyle Lovett Readies New Album; Miranda Lambert Announces New Single; Country Singers Celebrate First Amendment
- The Country Music Association has pledged $10 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s expansion efforts.
- Lyle Lovett’s new album, Release Me, is set for release on February 28.
- James McMurtry’s Mountain Stage performance can be streamed here.
- The Del McCoury Band came in at #10 on PopMatters’ 2011 Artists of the Year countdown.
- Lauren Alaina and Rodney Atkins will perform on Fox’s American Country New Year’s Eve Live, airing at 11p.m. on the 31st.
- Miranda Lambert’s next single from Four the Record is “Over You,” co-written with Blake Shelton.
- Bob Kingsley will be given the President’s Award at the Country Radio Hall of Fame Awards and Dinner in February. The award is presented to “an individual who has made a significant contribution to the marketing, production, growth, and development of the Country Radio Seminar and the multiple services that Country Radio Seminar provides to the country radio and music communities.”
- Cuts from the Pistol Annies, Those Darlins, Matraca Berg, Abigail Washburn, Lucinda Williams, Hayes Carll, and The Drive-By Truckers made the American Songwriter Top 50 Songs of 2011 list.
- A download of The Goat Rodeo Sessions is available for $3.99 on Amazon today. It’s one of the best albums of the year by incredibly talented musicians.
- Jake Owen was forced to cancel his sixth annual charity concert due to heavy rains.
- Sarah Jarosz, Joe Nichols, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Brad Paisley, The Civil Wars, and more are taking to Twitter tomorrow, on National Bill of Rights Day, in celebration of the First Amendment.
- Darryl Worley and Wynn Varble have recorded a version of “The Fishin’ Hole.” Anyone who texts a donation to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency or similar state organizations will be given a ringtone of the song as a thank you gift.
- There is a 15-song retrospective of Gretchen Peters’ career that you can download over at NoiseTrade.
- Here’s a short (under 30-minute) documentary about bluegrass and old-time music in the UK.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.