Lovett, Clark, Ely & Hiatt Recording Mired in Record Deal; New Toby Keith Video; Whip It Like a Mule
- In an interview with American Songwriter‘s Lynne Margolis, Lyle Lovett commented on the possibility of recording with Joe Ely, Guy Clark, and John Hiatt.
We have recorded. It’s mired in the record deal. We recorded three nights in Redwood City, California, a couple of years ago and it’s all ready to go, if we could get the business end of it [together]. … I’m hopeful that we can eventually put it out.
- Watch the new video for the Toby Keith song “Cryin’ For Me (Wayman’s Song).”
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica on the new Carrie Underwood album Play On:
[...] Ms. Underwood has honed a series of familiar poses — faithful girlfriend, scorned girlfriend, all-American girlfriend — each as technically well executed as the last. She’s a great model — the best in all of country, and perhaps all of pop. Certainly that’s made many of her songs, including several on “Play On,” musically and emotionally complacent, testaments to the limitations of great structure. “Look at Me” smolders but never sizzles, and “Undo It” never fills in the gaps between bruising choruses.
- Joe Nichols discussed his new album and the song “An Old Friend of Mine” in an interview with CMT Insider.
- Shirley Jinkins reviewed Billy Joe Shaver‘s Saturday concert where he opened with a new song, “It’s Always Been That Way (Since the Get-Go).” Watch a performance of the song on YouTube.
- For episode 25 of Nashville At Nite host Carrie Smith interviewed members of the band KingBilly.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne wrapped up his countdown of the worst singles of the decade with “Part 4: #20-#11” and “Part 5: #10-#1.”
- Ellen DeGeneres skeered Taylor Swift purdy good.
- Juli Thanki covered Thursday’s Ricky Skaggs concert:
Bill Monroe has passed on, but Skaggs invoked his spirit throughout the night, covering a block of Monroe songs from the late ’40s and relating one choice piece of advice the master gave him: “You gotta whip that mandolin like a mule.” Seems like Skaggs took it to heart, not only with the mandolin, but guitar and banjo as well.
- Lyle Lovett came out on top in this week’s batch of album reviews from Country Weekly‘s Chris Neal with four stars for his album Natural Forces.
- Pierre Cabrol, the architect who designed the Grand Ole Opry House, passed away at the age of 84. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Patty Loveless on her latest album, Mountain Soul II:
“This one’s a little different than the first Mountain Soul,” Loveless said. “I bucked and kicked a little at calling it Mountain Soul II, but I understood what the record label (Saguaro Road Records) was trying to do, which was to inform fans a little about what the content is. But I wanted to hear steel and electric guitar, and blend things and make it sound more Americana than Mountain Soul was.”
- Kelly Dearmore asked Drew Kennedy to discuss two of the songs from his new album, An Audio Guide to Cross Country Travel.
“Sharon Springs” is a song that I wrote about a couple of people that I know, people that shoot themselves in the foot every time something good comes their way. I think everyone knows someone like that. You can do everything you can think of to help them out, but sooner or later you come to grips with the notion that it’s just a part of who they are. They don’t know how to move forward unless they break-down whatever it is that’s right in front of them. It’s not an easy process to watch, that much I know for sure.
Head over to The Gobblers Knob to see what he has to say about “St. Abilene.”
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!