Lovett, Clark, Ely & Hiatt Recording Mired in Record Deal; New Toby Keith Video; Whip It Like a Mule
- In an interview with American Songwriter‘s Lynne Margolis, Lyle Lovett commented on the possibility of recording with Joe Ely, Guy Clark, and John Hiatt.
We have recorded. It’s mired in the record deal. We recorded three nights in Redwood City, California, a couple of years ago and it’s all ready to go, if we could get the business end of it [together]. … I’m hopeful that we can eventually put it out.
- Watch the new video for the Toby Keith song “Cryin’ For Me (Wayman’s Song).”
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica on the new Carrie Underwood album Play On:
[...] Ms. Underwood has honed a series of familiar poses — faithful girlfriend, scorned girlfriend, all-American girlfriend — each as technically well executed as the last. She’s a great model — the best in all of country, and perhaps all of pop. Certainly that’s made many of her songs, including several on “Play On,” musically and emotionally complacent, testaments to the limitations of great structure. “Look at Me” smolders but never sizzles, and “Undo It” never fills in the gaps between bruising choruses.
- Joe Nichols discussed his new album and the song “An Old Friend of Mine” in an interview with CMT Insider.
- Shirley Jinkins reviewed Billy Joe Shaver‘s Saturday concert where he opened with a new song, “It’s Always Been That Way (Since the Get-Go).” Watch a performance of the song on YouTube.
- For episode 25 of Nashville At Nite host Carrie Smith interviewed members of the band KingBilly.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne wrapped up his countdown of the worst singles of the decade with “Part 4: #20-#11” and “Part 5: #10-#1.”
- Ellen DeGeneres skeered Taylor Swift purdy good.
- Juli Thanki covered Thursday’s Ricky Skaggs concert:
Bill Monroe has passed on, but Skaggs invoked his spirit throughout the night, covering a block of Monroe songs from the late ’40s and relating one choice piece of advice the master gave him: “You gotta whip that mandolin like a mule.” Seems like Skaggs took it to heart, not only with the mandolin, but guitar and banjo as well.
- Lyle Lovett came out on top in this week’s batch of album reviews from Country Weekly‘s Chris Neal with four stars for his album Natural Forces.
- Pierre Cabrol, the architect who designed the Grand Ole Opry House, passed away at the age of 84. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Patty Loveless on her latest album, Mountain Soul II:
“This one’s a little different than the first Mountain Soul,” Loveless said. “I bucked and kicked a little at calling it Mountain Soul II, but I understood what the record label (Saguaro Road Records) was trying to do, which was to inform fans a little about what the content is. But I wanted to hear steel and electric guitar, and blend things and make it sound more Americana than Mountain Soul was.”
- Kelly Dearmore asked Drew Kennedy to discuss two of the songs from his new album, An Audio Guide to Cross Country Travel.
“Sharon Springs” is a song that I wrote about a couple of people that I know, people that shoot themselves in the foot every time something good comes their way. I think everyone knows someone like that. You can do everything you can think of to help them out, but sooner or later you come to grips with the notion that it’s just a part of who they are. They don’t know how to move forward unless they break-down whatever it is that’s right in front of them. It’s not an easy process to watch, that much I know for sure.
Head over to The Gobblers Knob to see what he has to say about “St. Abilene.”
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …