Lost Johnny Cash Performance To Be Released Later This Month
- When talking about his new album, Cowboy Town, due out on October 2nd, Ronnie Dunn said:
“This really is kind of like cowboys meet the Rolling Stones. There’s a bunch of fun stuff on there. And it sounds different than anything we’ve ever done.”
- Watch: Adam Hood plays a couple of songs live in studio at Reg’s Coffee House. (via Amber Waves of Twang)
- Since canceling a dozen concerts Willie Nelson has been trying to convince fans he is not ill.
His publicist, Elaine Schock, says, “It doesn’t seem unreasonable to need or want a couple of weeks off, especially when your life is planned a year in advance.”
I hate planning things a month in advance, so having things lined up a year down the road would be torture for me. I say the guy deserves his break.
- NPR published an audio review with track samples from Kelly Willis’s Translated From Love.
- Also from NPR is an interview and in-studio performance with Kim Richey. David Dye calls her music “sweetly alluring, folk-friendly country.”
- Twang Nation gives former Drive By Truckers front man Jason Isbell a titillating four and half naked women for his solo effort on Sirens of the Ditch. Author Baron Lane says, “Though I was initially bummed that the man that penned the brilliant ‘Danko/Manuel’ was leaving the Truckers, ‘Sirens of the Ditch’ is a fine first solo effort that does ease some of the misery and show sign of great things to come.”
- On the subject of naked women, Still Is Still Moving pulled an article from the archives of the Dallas Times Herald that talks about Willie Nelson’s 8th annual picnic and mentions that the singer said it would be the last–we all know how that turned out. The majority of the article is dedicated to Nelson’s film career at the time. The article is accompanied by some possibly NSFW pictures.
- Fourty-four people were arrested during the four day Craven Country Music Jamboree in Craven, Canada this past weekend. “Ten people were arrested for impaired driving, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Police also investigated five assaults, two assaults with a weapon, four sexual assaults and seven thefts.” It’s sad that people have to do these kind of things instead of enjoying the immense amount of talent that was performing at the festival.
- Later this month a live CD titled Johnny Cash – The Great Lost Performance will be released featuring Cash’s first performance of “What Is Man?”, his only recordings of “Wonderful Time Up There” and “A Beautiful Life”, and his only live recording of “Life’s Railway To Heaven”.
A lost Johnny Cash concert has been rescued from the vaults of the late country icon’s record label and is to be released as a new live CD.
If these recording were merely sitting in the record label’s vault, were they really lost?
- One of CMT‘s guest bloggers, Lance Miller, wrote his first post yesterday on…mostly himself, but he does mention briefly that he enjoys hanging out with Tim McGraw and that they pass the guitar and sing some of their “old favorites like ‘Rose Colored Glasses’ and anything by Keith Whitley.”
- UPDATE: ABC’s newest show: 6 Degrees of Martina McBride
- UPDATE: Jezebel posted an animation showing the effects of photoshopping Faith Hill on the cover of the July issue of Redbook.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …