Lost Johnny Cash Performance To Be Released Later This Month
- When talking about his new album, Cowboy Town, due out on October 2nd, Ronnie Dunn said:
“This really is kind of like cowboys meet the Rolling Stones. There’s a bunch of fun stuff on there. And it sounds different than anything we’ve ever done.”
- Watch: Adam Hood plays a couple of songs live in studio at Reg’s Coffee House. (via Amber Waves of Twang)
- Since canceling a dozen concerts Willie Nelson has been trying to convince fans he is not ill.
His publicist, Elaine Schock, says, “It doesn’t seem unreasonable to need or want a couple of weeks off, especially when your life is planned a year in advance.”
I hate planning things a month in advance, so having things lined up a year down the road would be torture for me. I say the guy deserves his break.
- NPR published an audio review with track samples from Kelly Willis’s Translated From Love.
- Also from NPR is an interview and in-studio performance with Kim Richey. David Dye calls her music “sweetly alluring, folk-friendly country.”
- Twang Nation gives former Drive By Truckers front man Jason Isbell a titillating four and half naked women for his solo effort on Sirens of the Ditch. Author Baron Lane says, “Though I was initially bummed that the man that penned the brilliant ‘Danko/Manuel’ was leaving the Truckers, ‘Sirens of the Ditch’ is a fine first solo effort that does ease some of the misery and show sign of great things to come.”
- On the subject of naked women, Still Is Still Moving pulled an article from the archives of the Dallas Times Herald that talks about Willie Nelson’s 8th annual picnic and mentions that the singer said it would be the last–we all know how that turned out. The majority of the article is dedicated to Nelson’s film career at the time. The article is accompanied by some possibly NSFW pictures.
- Fourty-four people were arrested during the four day Craven Country Music Jamboree in Craven, Canada this past weekend. “Ten people were arrested for impaired driving, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Police also investigated five assaults, two assaults with a weapon, four sexual assaults and seven thefts.” It’s sad that people have to do these kind of things instead of enjoying the immense amount of talent that was performing at the festival.
- Later this month a live CD titled Johnny Cash – The Great Lost Performance will be released featuring Cash’s first performance of “What Is Man?”, his only recordings of “Wonderful Time Up There” and “A Beautiful Life”, and his only live recording of “Life’s Railway To Heaven”.
A lost Johnny Cash concert has been rescued from the vaults of the late country icon’s record label and is to be released as a new live CD.
If these recording were merely sitting in the record label’s vault, were they really lost?
- One of CMT‘s guest bloggers, Lance Miller, wrote his first post yesterday on…mostly himself, but he does mention briefly that he enjoys hanging out with Tim McGraw and that they pass the guitar and sing some of their “old favorites like ‘Rose Colored Glasses’ and anything by Keith Whitley.”
- UPDATE: ABC’s newest show: 6 Degrees of Martina McBride
- UPDATE: Jezebel posted an animation showing the effects of photoshopping Faith Hill on the cover of the July issue of Redbook.
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …