Lost Highway To Release Willie Nelson Compilation; Country’s Shrinking Middle Class
- Lost Highway Records will release a 17-track Willie Nelson compilation on August 11 to celebrate his 10 years with the label. The track list was culled from nine different albums and includes three previously unreleased songs.
New releases for the week of July 14, 2009 include:
- David M. Ross commented on country’s shrinking middle class.
It’s easy to point to the superstar crowd—Swift, Underwood, Flatts, Sugarland, Paisley, Urban, Chesney, Strait, McGraw, Keith and maybe a few others we’ve mistakenly omitted, but what about the up and comers? Where is country’s middle class? A quick look at the Top 10 selling country albums this year names the following; Swift, Hannah Montana, Rascal Flatts, Zac Brown Brand, Keith Urban, Darius Rucker, Jason Aldean, Sugarland, Swift and Underwood. Only two of those CDs have broken the million mark this year; only three have passed the 500k goalposts, which is the start of profitability for many labels.
- My Kind of Country: What are some of your favorite collaborations in country music. And why?
- Jason Boland And The Stragglers announced a West coast swing as part of their summer tour. (via press release)
- Watch Ray Wylie Hubbard perform “Rabbit.”
- Bob Willis, who wrote many country songs recorded by the late Jimmie Davis, passed away Friday at the age of 75.
- iTunes in a perfect world…
- If one person were to break through from the Red Dirt scene, Craig Shelburne says he’d bet on Wade Bowen.
- The Los Angeles Times‘ Randy Lewis counts Eric Church, who played a 30-minute set in Hollywood last week, among “a new breed of Southern rocker who’s laying waste to the stereotype of the genre being the exclusive domain of beer-drinkin’, flag-wavin’ good ol’ boys.” (via Country Music Tattle Tale)
- The blogger at A Truer Sound shared his favorite Del McCoury Band recording.
- And Big Rock Candy Mountain highlighted several Gary Stewart tunes.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.