Lost Highway To Release Willie Nelson Compilation; Country’s Shrinking Middle Class
- Lost Highway Records will release a 17-track Willie Nelson compilation on August 11 to celebrate his 10 years with the label. The track list was culled from nine different albums and includes three previously unreleased songs.
New releases for the week of July 14, 2009 include:
- David M. Ross commented on country’s shrinking middle class.
It’s easy to point to the superstar crowd—Swift, Underwood, Flatts, Sugarland, Paisley, Urban, Chesney, Strait, McGraw, Keith and maybe a few others we’ve mistakenly omitted, but what about the up and comers? Where is country’s middle class? A quick look at the Top 10 selling country albums this year names the following; Swift, Hannah Montana, Rascal Flatts, Zac Brown Brand, Keith Urban, Darius Rucker, Jason Aldean, Sugarland, Swift and Underwood. Only two of those CDs have broken the million mark this year; only three have passed the 500k goalposts, which is the start of profitability for many labels.
- My Kind of Country: What are some of your favorite collaborations in country music. And why?
- Jason Boland And The Stragglers announced a West coast swing as part of their summer tour. (via press release)
- Watch Ray Wylie Hubbard perform “Rabbit.”
- Bob Willis, who wrote many country songs recorded by the late Jimmie Davis, passed away Friday at the age of 75.
- iTunes in a perfect world…
- If one person were to break through from the Red Dirt scene, Craig Shelburne says he’d bet on Wade Bowen.
- The Los Angeles Times‘ Randy Lewis counts Eric Church, who played a 30-minute set in Hollywood last week, among “a new breed of Southern rocker who’s laying waste to the stereotype of the genre being the exclusive domain of beer-drinkin’, flag-wavin’ good ol’ boys.” (via Country Music Tattle Tale)
- The blogger at A Truer Sound shared his favorite Del McCoury Band recording.
- And Big Rock Candy Mountain highlighted several Gary Stewart tunes.
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.