Lost Highway Debut Announced for Robert Earl Keen; Rounder Celebrates 40; Kenny Snatches Camera
- Robert Earl Keen will release The Rose Hotel, his Lost Highway debut and first album since 2005, on Sept. 29.
- Buddy Jewell is the first artist signed to the new label ALL Entertainment, and should have a new single next month.
- NPR has an interview with Loudon Wainwright III and song selections from his newest album, High Wide and Handsome: The Charlie Poole Project, which is described as a celebration of the old-time country banjo player.
- Bill Anderson is scheduled to headline the 7th Annual Roger Miller Music & Arts Festival concert on Saturday, October 24th, in Miller’s hometown of Erick, Oklahoma.
“I am truly honored that Mary and Dean have invited me to be a part of this year’s celebration,” the Country Music Hall of Famer says, “And I promise to tell some Roger stories that even they have never heard!”
- Old Crow Medicine Show‘s first live DVD, Live at the Orange Peel and Tennessee Theatre, is out now and you can watch several of the song selections on MySpace.
- Hickory Wind’s Larry Karnowski claims Exebelle and the Rusted Calvacade might be Virginia’s best-kept secret, and at two dollars apiece for both their EPs released this year, he says they’re also Virginia’s biggest steal.
“It’s self-produced, lo-fi, folk-country with a mountain stomp and a rock ‘n roll swagger. … These songs are grade-A solid. Toss in the fun “Bees” — a cross between “Tiptoe Through the Tulips” and Sweetheart of the Rodeo-era Byrds…”
- My Kind of Country: What live albums or tracks would you recommend?
- The Time Jumpers will be the musical guest for the season premiere of “Says You,” a game show built around two competing panels of word-savvy contestants. The game show will be taping several episodes in Nashville on Sunday. (via press release)
- It’s honest album cover day at Farce the Music, and although the theme is Aussie, you should recognize names like Olivia Newton John, Keith Urban, and Jamie O’Neal.
- Country Haiku:
We have worked all week
It is time to get sideways
Also, really drunk
- Chris Neal briefly profiled the career of Steve Earle, who will play at The Belcourt on Monday, and his relationship with Townes Van Zandt for Nashville Scene.
- On her website, Shania Twain announced that she’d have a surprise for her fans on Aug. 28, her 44th birthday. A source told People.com that the surprise won’t be new music, but a video — a travelogue — of what she’s been doing for the past year.
- Country Universe listed six tracks apiece from ’90s groups The Mavericks and Blackhawk that you should check out.
- Rounder Records will celebrate its 40th anniversary on Oct. 12 at the Grand Ole Opry House with performances from Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Bela Fleck and Irma Thomas as well as special guests yet to be announced.
- Alt-512 Music Musings posted a 28-part video from a house concert Corb Lund played back in Sept. of 2007.
- One of the fans at Kenny Chesney‘s concert in Foxborough last weekend says the singer grabbed her camera from the stage, shut it, and threw it onto the stage as he walked down the walkway. She did eventually get her camera back, but it was missing the memory card with pictures from her family vacation. (via reader email)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.