Lori McKenna to Release Numbered Doors; Kacey Musgraves Announces Fall Tour Dates; New Music Videos
- Lori McKenna will release a ten-song album called Numbered Doors on September 23.
- Cindy Watts reported in The Tennessean that Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is fully renovated and ready for its grand opening on August 16 in Dyess, Arkansas.
- Ticketmaster broke when tickets for Garth Brooks’ Atlanta concerts went on sale.
- We’d like to send some well wishes to Jessie Scott, the head-of-everything at Music Fog, who is recovering from a hip replacement surgery earlier this year.
- The summer of bad behavior at country concerts continues: a man was arrested after stabbing three people at a campground near the WE Fest in Minnesota.
- Esquire premiered Marty Stuart’s new song, “Jailhouse.”
- Longtime Grand Ole Opry fiddle player Earl White passed away last week at the age of 78.
- Kris Kristofferson will perform at the Ryman on September 13; all proceeds are going to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Tickets go on sale Friday morning. (via press release)
- Check out Taylor Swift in this clip from the upcoming film adaptation of The Giver.
- Ray Stevens is playing it serious on a new gospel collection that comes out on August 19.
- Joe Freeman wrote a piece for Country Weekly about Kelsey Weldon and her excellent new album, The Gold Mine.
- The consistent C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Vince Gill is Number 19 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice.
- Trisha Yearwood is on the cover of the September issue of Woman’s Day.
- Lamon Records signed Texan Cody Joe Hodges.
- Rosanne Cash is set to receive the Performing Arts Award from Smithsonian Magazine in October.
- Rolling Stone Country posted some audio of Will Hoge recording “Middle of America” in Studio A.
- Rolling Stone Country also identified “The 26 Albums of 2014 You Probably Didn’t But Really Should Hear.”
- Welcome back, Billy Gilman.
- Kacey Musgraves has announced a ten-day fall tour that will begin September 25 in Tulsa. In other Musgraves news, she and pop star Katy Perry have written a song together that’s loosely based on The Wizard of Oz.
- Laurie Lewis and Kathy Kallick have teamed up to celebrate their heroes Vern Williams and Ray Park on a new album.
- On September 23, Saguaro Road Records will release a set of 40-year-old, previously unreleased recordings that Jerry Lee Lewis made for Knox Phillips in the 1970s.
- Our friend Rita Ballou posted a new Stoney LaRue song called “Golden Shackles.”
- Kix Brooks shot some mildly amusing new commercials for Zaxby’s restaurants.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Don Williams – “Sing Me Back Home”
Israel Nash – “Who in Time”
Ben Miller Band – “The Outsider” (for CMT Edge Live)
Del Barber – “Right Side of the Wrong” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Amber Lawrence – “Superhero”
Ray Benson – “I Ain’t Lookin’ for No Trouble” (Live on The Texas Music Scene)
Pieta Brown – “Before Gas and TV”
Neal Morse – “Heaven Smiled”
Stephanie Lynn – “Two Ships”
RaeLynn – “God Made Girls”
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …