Lori McKenna to Release Numbered Doors; Kacey Musgraves Announces Fall Tour Dates; New Music Videos
- Lori McKenna will release a ten-song album called Numbered Doors on September 23.
- Cindy Watts reported in The Tennessean that Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is fully renovated and ready for its grand opening on August 16 in Dyess, Arkansas.
- Ticketmaster broke when tickets for Garth Brooks’ Atlanta concerts went on sale.
- We’d like to send some well wishes to Jessie Scott, the head-of-everything at Music Fog, who is recovering from a hip replacement surgery earlier this year.
- The summer of bad behavior at country concerts continues: a man was arrested after stabbing three people at a campground near the WE Fest in Minnesota.
- Esquire premiered Marty Stuart’s new song, “Jailhouse.”
- Longtime Grand Ole Opry fiddle player Earl White passed away last week at the age of 78.
- Kris Kristofferson will perform at the Ryman on September 13; all proceeds are going to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Tickets go on sale Friday morning. (via press release)
- Check out Taylor Swift in this clip from the upcoming film adaptation of The Giver.
- Ray Stevens is playing it serious on a new gospel collection that comes out on August 19.
- Joe Freeman wrote a piece for Country Weekly about Kelsey Weldon and her excellent new album, The Gold Mine.
- The consistent C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Vince Gill is Number 19 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice.
- Trisha Yearwood is on the cover of the September issue of Woman’s Day.
- Lamon Records signed Texan Cody Joe Hodges.
- Rosanne Cash is set to receive the Performing Arts Award from Smithsonian Magazine in October.
- Rolling Stone Country posted some audio of Will Hoge recording “Middle of America” in Studio A.
- Rolling Stone Country also identified “The 26 Albums of 2014 You Probably Didn’t But Really Should Hear.”
- Welcome back, Billy Gilman.
- Kacey Musgraves has announced a ten-day fall tour that will begin September 25 in Tulsa. In other Musgraves news, she and pop star Katy Perry have written a song together that’s loosely based on The Wizard of Oz.
- Laurie Lewis and Kathy Kallick have teamed up to celebrate their heroes Vern Williams and Ray Park on a new album.
- On September 23, Saguaro Road Records will release a set of 40-year-old, previously unreleased recordings that Jerry Lee Lewis made for Knox Phillips in the 1970s.
- Our friend Rita Ballou posted a new Stoney LaRue song called “Golden Shackles.”
- Kix Brooks shot some mildly amusing new commercials for Zaxby’s restaurants.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Don Williams – “Sing Me Back Home”
Israel Nash – “Who in Time”
Ben Miller Band – “The Outsider” (for CMT Edge Live)
Del Barber – “Right Side of the Wrong” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Amber Lawrence – “Superhero”
Ray Benson – “I Ain’t Lookin’ for No Trouble” (Live on The Texas Music Scene)
Pieta Brown – “Before Gas and TV”
Neal Morse – “Heaven Smiled”
Stephanie Lynn – “Two Ships”
RaeLynn – “God Made Girls”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.