Loretta Lynn Earns Lifetime Achievement Award; TIME & Billboard Lists; Toby Keith Performs at Nobel Peace Concert
- Loretta Lynn, Harold Bradley, and Walter Miller will be among those honored by the Recording Academy during Grammy week. Lynn will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and both Bradley and Miller will earn Trustees Awards.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox compared and contrasted the best of the decade lists that ran here and Country Universe.
- It took TIME magazine 50 lists to categorize everything in 2009, from the top awkward stories to the top scandals. Brad Paisley‘s American Saturday Night took the top spot on the list for albums while Miranda Lambert came in at number six for Revolution and earned another spot on the top songs list for “White Liar,” which came in at number seven. Through her affiliation with Kanye West, Taylor Swift was mentioned in the number two most awkward story and number five on the list of apologies.
- Even more country stars inhabit Billboard’s Best of the 2000s and Best of 2009 lists. Be sure to check out the country specific lists if you’re not interested in the other genres.
- So Taylor Swift got rid of her curls…
- My Kind of Country’s Razor X shared a list of his top albums of the year.
- The new Crazy Heart movie starring Jeff Bridges almost didn’t get made, and then almost didn’t see a release. Now that it’s been picked up by Fox Searchlight, it’ll see a staggered release starting next Wednesday, followed by more cities on Christmas day, and even more Jan. 8.
- Sounds Country talked to Steve Berg, the bass player for Eleven Hundred Springs, about five records that inspire him.
- Jimmy Buffet passed the “tiki torch” to the Zac Brown Band during the recent taping of CMT’s Crossroads. The actual episode doesn’t air until March 19.
- Carrie Underwood on choosing songs for her first album:
I know what I like to listen to on the radio. I know what I like to sing along to in the car. So any time I heard a song for the first album, I’d put it in the context of, Okay, would I turn the channel? Would I listen to this whole song or would I skip to the next one? It was really important to me because all I knew was how to be a consumer. I didn’t know how to be an artist.
She’s also announced a slew of dates for her spring tour.
- Adam Steffey, who has been getting a lot of praise for his 2009 album, talked to The Bluegrass Blog about The Boxcars, a new group that includes himself, Ron Stewart, Keith Garrett, Harold Nixon and John Bowman.
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Margaret Moser rated the new Dolly Parton box set, Dolly, four stars.
- Trisha Yearwood is scheduled to host the 2009 “Christmas at Belmont” performance at Nashville’s Schermerhorn Symphony Center, which will be broadcast on PBS Dec. 23. (via NashvilleGab)
- Toby Keith says he won’t apologize for supporting U.S. war efforts. Hours later, he played the Nobel Peace Prize Concert.
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …