Little Jimmy Dickens Tops List of Opry Appearances; One Year of Fake News; Notable Music Deaths; Cash v. Haggard
- Out of the 199 Opry shows performed this year Little Jimmy Dickens had the most appearances with 145, and even then he missed a few due to illnesses. Also, among the 31 Opry members, almost half made nine or less appearances. (via That Nashville Sound)
[…] Clint Black last appeared in 2007 with 2 appearances, but before that the last time he was at the Opry was in 2003. Garth Brooks has made 3 appearances since 2000, Tom T. Hall has not been to the Opry in a decade, Dolly Parton has made 4 appearances since 2002 and Randy Travis has appeared just 3 times since 2001. While Reba McEntire made 1 appearance this past year, before that the last time she was on the Opry was in 2000.
Just the opinion of this writer, but if you are not going to be a part of the show, then leave and make room for others. There is just no excuse for joining and to have the prestige of being an Opry member and then not showing up to support the show. Or even worst, to show up for a special event or when the Opry is going to be televised and you are going to be on the tv portion is just wrong.
- Country California is celebrating one year and one hundred posts of the popular Fake News feature.
- String Theory Media’s Craig Havighurst on Alaska-based, bluegrass band Bearfoot (MySpace): “They’re serene and uplifting with enough traditional old-time bite and tang to keep it grounded. The songwriting is rangy and sophisticated, their covers well chosen.”
- Havighurst covers two more albums, too: Sam Bush‘s Circles Around Me and Bela Fleck‘s Throw Down Your Heart.
- Farce the Music’s top albums of 2009.
- The Boot published a Q&A with Joe Nichols all about his personal life.
- How does a band go from this to this?
- Robert Earl Keen on record labels:
“I had this bout of stupidity for about three years and it had to do with [me not knowing] what was going on with the record business,” Keen says. “I actually thought I could do something about it . . . or figure out some clever way to do something else no one was doing and then I realized: ‘That’s not my job at all — I don’t even like to talk about that crap.’ ”
- If the audience’s reception of Zac Brown Band‘s new tunes during its second night of a recent two-night stand at the Opry are any indication of increasing popularity, Craig Shelburne says the group may want to add a third night in 2010.
- DFW.com’s Preston Jones dubbed the Danny Balis (MySpace) record Too Much Living the second best local record of 2009.
- My Kind of Country’s Razor X on the recent live release from Dolly Parton: “Despite […] the lack of any new material, I still feel that Live from London is a worthwhile purchase. The moral of the story is to never underestimate Dolly Parton or count her out. I’m sorry I ever doubted you, Dolly.”
- A couple of Texas ladies topped Joey Guerra’s year-end list of favorite albums.
- CMT’s Edward Morris listed several notable music deaths of 2009, including Vern Gosdin, Jack Cooke, and Les Paul.
- Cash v. Haggard: Who do you prefer?
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …