Little Jimmy Dickens Recovering From Surgery for Brain Injury
- Music City TV is reporting that Little Jimmy Dickens is recovering in a Nashville area hospital following surgery to repair a subdural hematoma. Other than that, there’s not much info, but the family asks for your thoughts and prayers.
- Melonie Cannon‘s duet with Willie Nelson on “Back to Earth,” a song that was picked as the top of song of October ’08, is being sent to radio as Cannon’s new single.
- The Randy Rogers Band is set to make their Late Show debut tonight, where they’ll be performing “Wicked Ways.”
- Speaking of debuts, Patty Loveless will grace the stage at A Prairie Home Companion for the first time this Saturday (Jan. 17).
- Ashlie Kolb interviewed country singers and NASCAR drivers for the 18th episode of Nashville At Nite. The country singers include Crystal Shawanda, Danielle Peck, Gabe Garcia, Rick Huckaby, and Kate and Kacey Coppola.
- Accomplished bluegrass singer, songwriter, bandleader, and popular radio host Chris Jones eulogizes the passing of his former band mate, Butch Baldassari:
There have been many times since Weary Hearts were together when I’ve thought to myself, ‘what would Butch say in a situation like this?,’ and it’s likely he would have said something insightful and funny. He had very little use for the cliches and standard assumptions of the business, instead creating his own ‘conventional wisdom’ (or maybe ‘Baldo’s Wisdom’), which often enabled him to see things more clearly and pinpoint the heart of the situation.
- Garth Brooks and Jennifer Nettles are among a group of singers scheduled to perform at an inaugural celebration in Washington on Sunday.
- CMT‘s Craig Shelburne laid out ten indie albums worth checking out in early ’09, and in a separate blog article, he listed several of his favorite albums from the ’90s and early ’00s.
- Take Dan Milliken’s second country quiz at Country Universe. Good stuff.
- Paste magazine’s Andy Whitman relays a few particulars about A Man of Somebody’s Dreams: A Tribute to the Songs of Chris Gaffney, which will be released March 31.
These are sad, poignant, joyous, stomping songs…performances vary from tender, accordion-laced Tex-Mex ballads to Bakersfield honky tonk to blues-based rockers to pleading Philly soul. It’s a fair cross-section of Chris’s music, but more than that, it’s a long overdue showcase for a criminally underappreciated songwriter.
- What’s your most turbulent musical relationship?
The first single from Neko Case‘s new album, Middle Cyclone, will be “People Got A Lotta Nerve.” And to promote the single, her record label, Anti-, will donate five dollars to Best Friends Animal Society for every blog that reposts the song and one dollar for every iLike user that adds the song to his/her profile.
- Don’t forget to vote in our first annual country music awards!
Tom Russell and Gretchen Peters have a new western album due on or before Feb. 1 titled One to the Heart, One to the Head. Russell calls it his favorite western-flavored record since Blood on the Saddle by Tex Ritter. Watch a video from the making of the album.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.