Little Jimmy Dickens Out of Hospital; Anticipates Short Stay in Rehab
- Music City TV is reporting that Little Jimmy Dickens moved from the hospital to a nearby rehabilitation center yesterday.
- Ashley Monroe, Jack White and Brendan Benson talk about the chemistry behind the bluegrass inspired recording of “Old Enough” in a video for CMT.
- Pitchfork‘s Stephen M. Deusner on the Johnny Cash Remixed album:
I’ve been scouring the book of Revelation for some mention of this album, figuring it had to be the soundtrack to the Four Horsemen’s scourge or maybe the eight-track in the seven-headed beast’s ’66 Camaro. But no, Johnny Cash Remixed is nothing quite so earth shattering or notable. It’s more like a small, remote geyser through which a little bit of hell bubbles up into our world.
He goes on to note that the album’s lone saving grace, if you can call it that, is Count De Money’s take on “Big River.” (via Twang Nation)
- Chris Neal dubs The Unreleased Recordings from Hank Williams essential listening.
- A writer for the Eagle’s Roost blog opines: Carrie Underwood releasing a cover of Randy Travis‘ “I Told You So” as a single is like Keith Urban aiming for a number one hit with “He Stopped Loving her Today.”
- The bluegrass family band Cherryholmes released a country remix of “This Is My Son” to radio. The band’s patriarch, Jere Cherryholmes, gave a few details about the song and in his review, Country Universe‘s Dan Milliken dives into the meaning behind the words.
- The WCRS Live! songwriter event at CRS-40 will feature acoustic performances by Bobby Pinson, Paul Overstreet, Josh Turner and Jamey Johnson. (via press release)
- Country California wants to know your favorite novelty song.
- Martina McBride took a turn performing her songs on Walmart’s Soundcheck. (via Country Music Is Love)
- Elvis Costello hosts Spectacle, a show on Sundance that features conversations and performances with legendary performers and notable newcomers, and tonight’s episode features a “guitar-pull” with Kris Kristofferson, Rosanne Cash, Norah Jones (who will perform a new song co-written by Hank Williams) and John Mellencamp.
- Watch Randy Houser‘s Unplugged at Studio 330 session. He performs “Anything Goes,” “Boots On,” “Back to God” and “Lie” and reveals his all-time favorite record.
- Farce the Music took a stab at the Rascal Flatts album cover design contest for their upcoming album, Unstoppable. Just a warning, it’s not for the queasy and possibly not safe for work.
- Walmart and Nashville-based merchandising and marketing company Richards & Southern have teamed up to launch a non-exclusive eight act Country Legends T-shirt pallet display program. (via press release)
This program features cool, nostalgic style designs featuring The Oak Ridge Boys, Conway Twitty, Alabama, Charlie Daniels, George Jones, and Kenny Rogers and will be available for $7.99 in 1500 stores across America through May 2009.
- My Kind of Country‘s J.R. Journey published an interview with Miss Leslie in which she discusses her introduction to country music, the themes of her songs, and the inspiration of Dale Watson.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.