Little Jimmy Dickens Celebrates 90; Shania Twain Announces Engagement; Country Music Hall of Fame Plans Expansion
- Little Jimmy Dickens turned 90 on Sunday.
- Shania Twain is engaged, and has been for a couple of months now, to Frédéric Thiébaud. She announced the engagement on her website this morning.
- Farce the Music Parody Album Covers: A Country Christmas 2010
- Craig Havighurst has an article on NPR about the songwriting system in Nashville and the cycle a song generally takes from the creation to final cut. In one of the more interesting parts, he notes that a song on an album that sells a million copies would generate about $100,000, which would then be split between the songwriters and publishers. Radio hits generate even more — a lot more. It sounds like a sweet gig, but Havighurst says the system is under pressure:
Shorter radio playlists and the collapse in CD sales have made lucrative hits scarcer than ever. The city’s top songwriting association estimates there are only about a quarter as many staff writers on Music Row today as there were a decade ago.
- Plans to expand the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum were recently okayed.
- NPR: Joey+Rory on Mountain Stage | Punch Brothers on Mountain Stage
- Country Universe is counting down the best singles of 2010: Part 1: #40-#31 | Part 2: #30-#21
- Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt have a collaborative tour planned for early next year.
- If you haven’t read Pierce’s Garth Brooks recap, check it out here, and if that’s not enough, there’s plenty more: CMT’s Edward Morris | The Tennessean‘s Dave Paulson | Nashville Cream | Billboard‘s Deborah Evans Price | GAC’s Tom Roland
- The staff at Galleywinter compiled a list of their favorite albums, songs, discoveries, live acts and more from the past year.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 12/19/10 Edition
- Easton Corbin on familial support:
My dad watches the charts more than I do. I mean, he’ll call me up and tell me where it’s at on the charts. He doesn’t know how to get on the computer, but my stepmom does, and he does it through her. He has no idea how to run the computer. It’s funny, we were No. 4 at one time, and we kind of dropped back to five, and he called me and said, “Son, I just want to let you know you were No. 4, but it looks like you’re No. 5 now. I wonder if somebody made a mistake on that chart or something. You might need to point it out to somebody.” And I said, “Dad, don’t worry. They know what they’re doing. Trust me.”
- Rascal Flatts collaborated with Justin Bieber on a song that’ll be on his next album. In other Flatts news, the trio plans to host its first-ever Flatts Fest, a multi-artist music festival, in July.
- My Kind of Country: J.R. Journey’s Top 10 Singles and Tracks of 2010
- Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers have a new gospel album, Hymns From The Hills, scheduled for release on Feb. 1.
- NPR’s 50 favorite albums of the year include Carolina Chocolate Drops‘ Genuine Negro Jig and Jamey Johnson‘s The Guitar Song.
The Eye of the Hurricane’s Ryan Hargrave recently recorded a video of Jason Eady performing “AM Country Heaven” as part of a new project he’s starting called The Revive Sessions.
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.