Little Big Town – “Little White Church”
In the Mixed-Gender Pop-Country Band Popularity Contest, Little Big Town is lagging somewhere behind Gloriana and Lady Antebellum these days. That’s a shame, because they’re more dynamic than either of those two groups. New single “Little White Church” has the potential to put the quartet back in the race.
Though it shares a title with a bluegrass gospel song, “Little White Church” is pretty far removed from Sunday morning music, unless the old adage “no huggy, no kissy until I get a wedding ring” can be attributed to King Solomon instead of that dude from the Georgia Satellites. Though it’s no “Keep Your Hands to Yourself,” “Little White Church” is awfully catchy. Best of all, when so many singles on the radio sound the same, this one stands out.
Just when the song begins chugging along at a good clip, the music suddenly cuts out, leaving us with a nifty little handclap interlude. As quickly as it screeched to a halt, the electric guitar picks up again, racing to the chorus with all the speed of a shotgun wedding. Little Big Town’s vocals and harmonies are tight as usual as they sing about a gal who’s fed up with her man’s empty promises and decides to lay down the law. “I may be cheap, but I ain’t free…No more callin’ me baby/No more lovin’ like crazy/No more chicken and gravy/Ain’t gonna have your baby/’Til you take me down to the little white church” might not be the most poetic lyrics ever written, but they’re delivered with enough energetic sass that the listener can’t help but be carried along.
“Little White Church” is more Kelly Clarkson than Keith Whitley; the song’s connection to country is tenuous. But it’s that time of year when an infectious, upbeat hit ushers in spring after a dreary winter. “Little White Church” fits the bill perfectly.
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …