Linda Ronstadt Reveals Parkinson’s Battle; The Trishas Plan “Band Break”; New Music Videos
- Linda Ronstadt revealed in an AARP.org interview that she has Parkinson’s Disease and that it has robbed her of her ability to sing.
- The terrible Rim Fire near Yosemite has forced the cancellation of the long-running Strawberry Music Festival. (warning: autoplay)
- Trisha Yearwood confirmed in a television interview that she and Garth Brooks are working on an album together and have plans for a tour. Yearwood is working on a solo release as well.
- Taylor Swift won Best Female Video at last night’s MTV Video Music Awards for “I Knew You Were Trouble.” But most of today’s Swift headlines are about this.
- True Blood star Stephen Moyer has been cast opposite Carrie Underwood in NBC’s live version of The Sound of Music, scheduled for December 5.
- NASA remembered Neil Armstrong on the first anniversary of his death with this video set to Eric Brace’s “Tranquility Base.”
- Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin interviewed Tracy Lawrence about his strong new album, Headlights, Taillights and Radios. An excerpt: “It was real important for me on this album to stretch the boundaries. Some of the things on this record were really challenging for me. They were very rangy. We decided that we were really going to push the envelope this time. My head was in a different place than it had been before.”
- Peter Cooper did a terrific job profiling steel guitarist Buddy Emmons for The Tennessean.
- Also in The Tennessean, Cindy Watts talked with Alabama about why they’re a trio instead of a quartet these days.
- Australian country artist Adam Brand has signed a new record deal and will have anacoustic album out in November.
- NPR’s RJ Smith reviews Hidden in the Mix: The African American Presence in Country Music.
- Our friend Stephen Deusner identified ten Americana albums to look forward to this fall.
- On September 1, Pandora will remove its 40 hour-per-month limit on free mobile listening.
- Joy Kills Sorrow, Sturgill Simpson, Robert Earl Keen, and The Time Jumpers are among the acts added to this year’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass lineup.
- Dolly Parton has plans for a new album and tour.
- Steve Wariner and the Grand Ole Opry were the stars of yesterday’s Nancy comic strip.
- Husband and wife duo Grace & Tony will release their “punkgrass” album in November.
- Thomas Rhett released the cover art and track listing for his next album, It Goes Like This (out October 29).
- The Trishas will be taking a “band break.”
- Hank Williams III
tells Saving Country Musicsays that his next album will be a traditional country one.
- Thompson Square’s “Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not” went double platinum.
- Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, Dailey & Vincent and The Oak Ridge Boys are among the nominees for the 44th Gospel Music Association Dove Awards.
- Trace Adkins celebrated his ten year anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Branch & Dean – “The Dash”
Sheryl Crow – “We Oughta Be Drinkin’”
Sioux City Kid – “Wishin’ Well”
Jason Isbell – “Traveling Alone”
Zane Williams – “Overnight Success”
Have Gun, Will Travel – “Standing at the End of the World”
The Coal Men – “Sanity”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.