Linda Ronstadt Reveals Parkinson’s Battle; The Trishas Plan “Band Break”; New Music Videos
- Linda Ronstadt revealed in an AARP.org interview that she has Parkinson’s Disease and that it has robbed her of her ability to sing.
- The terrible Rim Fire near Yosemite has forced the cancellation of the long-running Strawberry Music Festival. (warning: autoplay)
- Trisha Yearwood confirmed in a television interview that she and Garth Brooks are working on an album together and have plans for a tour. Yearwood is working on a solo release as well.
- Taylor Swift won Best Female Video at last night’s MTV Video Music Awards for “I Knew You Were Trouble.” But most of today’s Swift headlines are about this.
- True Blood star Stephen Moyer has been cast opposite Carrie Underwood in NBC’s live version of The Sound of Music, scheduled for December 5.
- NASA remembered Neil Armstrong on the first anniversary of his death with this video set to Eric Brace’s “Tranquility Base.”
- Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin interviewed Tracy Lawrence about his strong new album, Headlights, Taillights and Radios. An excerpt: “It was real important for me on this album to stretch the boundaries. Some of the things on this record were really challenging for me. They were very rangy. We decided that we were really going to push the envelope this time. My head was in a different place than it had been before.”
- Peter Cooper did a terrific job profiling steel guitarist Buddy Emmons for The Tennessean.
- Also in The Tennessean, Cindy Watts talked with Alabama about why they’re a trio instead of a quartet these days.
- Australian country artist Adam Brand has signed a new record deal and will have anacoustic album out in November.
- NPR’s RJ Smith reviews Hidden in the Mix: The African American Presence in Country Music.
- Our friend Stephen Deusner identified ten Americana albums to look forward to this fall.
- On September 1, Pandora will remove its 40 hour-per-month limit on free mobile listening.
- Joy Kills Sorrow, Sturgill Simpson, Robert Earl Keen, and The Time Jumpers are among the acts added to this year’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass lineup.
- Dolly Parton has plans for a new album and tour.
- Steve Wariner and the Grand Ole Opry were the stars of yesterday’s Nancy comic strip.
- Husband and wife duo Grace & Tony will release their “punkgrass” album in November.
- Thomas Rhett released the cover art and track listing for his next album, It Goes Like This (out October 29).
- The Trishas will be taking a “band break.”
- Hank Williams III
tells Saving Country Musicsays that his next album will be a traditional country one.
- Thompson Square’s “Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not” went double platinum.
- Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, Dailey & Vincent and The Oak Ridge Boys are among the nominees for the 44th Gospel Music Association Dove Awards.
- Trace Adkins celebrated his ten year anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Branch & Dean – “The Dash”
Sheryl Crow – “We Oughta Be Drinkin’”
Sioux City Kid – “Wishin’ Well”
Jason Isbell – “Traveling Alone”
Zane Williams – “Overnight Success”
Have Gun, Will Travel – “Standing at the End of the World”
The Coal Men – “Sanity”
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …