Levon Helm Documentary to Premiere in NYC; Hellbound Glory Debuts New Single; Album Releases
- This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix features Gibson Brothers, Roger Knox, The Mavericks, and more. Download it here.
- Check out “The Feud,” a new Hellbound Glory single.
- Ain’t in It for My Health: A Film About Levon Helm will premiere at Cinema Village in New York on April 19 before showing in select cities. Director Jacob Hartley shot the documentary over two years, starting when Helm released Dirt Farmer in 2007.
- Hunter Hayes and Stevie Wonder will perform together at the ACM Awards.
- CMT Edge premiered the video for Angel Snow’s “Lie Awake.”
- Here’s a teaser for Lori McKenna’s next album, Massachusetts, which is due out late this month.
- Luke Bryan is on the new Billboard cover. Read an excerpt from the cover story.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Paste premiered a new Great Peacock video for the band’s song, “Family Home.”
- Watch the new Uncle Lucius video for “Keep the Wolves Away.”
- The Washington Post’s Allison Stewart wrote about new albums by Brad Paisley and The Band Perry. An excerpt: Forged in the same toothy-blond-diva generator that birthed Swift and Carrie Underwood, frontwoman Kimberly Perry carries the album’s lesser songs and makes a meal of its great ones, like the recent hit “Better Dig Two.” It’s the only track to merge the group’s three obsessions — the preservation of female virtue, the lure of faux-old-timey bluegrass and the Brontean glamour of an early death.
- Chuck Dauphin wrote a fine feature on Jimbeau Hinson, an HIV-positive artist who’s written hits for David Lee Murphy, Patty Loveless, and The Oak Ridge Boys.
- Stream the Deadstring Brothers’ new record, Cannery Row, at American Songwriter.
- While you’re at it, you can stream the new John Denver tribute record, the remastered version of Albert King’s Born Under a Bad Sign, and Kenny Roby’s Memories & Birds.
- Speaking of John Denver, “Rocky Mountain High” is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week.
- Neko Case just wrapped the final mixing session for her next record. Read about her work on the new album, and her Moby-Dick obsession, over at NPR’s music blog.
- Evan Schlansky of American Songwriter interviewed Kim Richey.
- On April 10, Kacey Musgraves will perform her next single, “Blowin’ Smoke,” on Ellen. (via press release)
- Brad Paisley was on Good Morning America yesterday.
- Andrew Combs played “Please, Please, Please” for CMT Edge.
- Kellie Pickler does a mean jive, but in Wynonna’s case, they should rename the show “Dancing” with the Stars.
- Julie Roberts auditioned on The Voice last night. She didn’t make it to the next round.
- This week’s album releases:
The Band Perry – Pioneer
Sons of Fathers – Burning Days
David Mayfield Parade – Good Man Down
Ian McFeron – Time Will Take You
Gretchen Wilson – Right on Time
Albert King – Born Under a Bad Sign (remastered)
Kenny Roby – Memories & Birds
Hackensaw Boys – For the Love of a Friend: Live in Kinderdijk
Hem – Departure and Farewell
New Black Seven – Hangovers & Heartbreak
BJ Thomas – The Living Room Sessions
Jason Tannery Band – Something Old, Something New
April Verch – Bright Like Gold
Various Artists – The Music is You: A Tribute to John Denver
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …