Lester Armistead Passes Away; Brad Paisley Sues Sony; New Music Videos
- Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday.
- Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be.
- Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. We interviewed White about the project earlier this year.
- Blake Shelton’s “Boys Round Here” won Country Song of the Year at the iHeartRadio Music Awards.
- The Marshall Tucker Band will kick off the 2014 CMA Music Festival in Nashville on June 4.
- Healthy thoughts go out to Will Hoge, who had to cancel a show due to pneumonia.
- Esquire calls Sturgill Simpson’s new album, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, a “masterpiece” and the “best, darkest, weirdest country record of the year.” They could be right. It’s really, really good. Stream the record here.
- Chuck Dauphin interviewed The Randy Rogers Band about their new live album and their long career for The 615.
- The Henningsens, Josh Thompson and Holly Williams will be making concert appearances at the Country Music Hall of Fame as part of the Hot Nights at the Hall series.
- Holly Williams also has a new high-profile backup singer. Turns out that Gwyneth Paltrow joined her onstage at The Roxy last week.
- With vinyl sales on the upswing, United Record Pressing is expanding to a 142,000 square foot facility in Nashville.
- Rawhide and Velvet is streaming Sunny Sweeney’s new single, “Bad Girl Phase.”
- Sarah Borges has signed with Lonesome Day Records. Her new album, called Radio Sweetheart, comes out on June 24. Lonesome Day also plans to release a bluegrass tribute to Bob Seger in August.
- Craig Shelburne unveiled Collin Herring’s “Kicked Around” for CMT Edge.
- C.M. Wilcox has another Quotable Country column up over at Country California.
- The very cool Brad Paisley made dreams come true for a kid with special needs.
- If Paisley wins this reported $10 million dollar lawsuit against his label, Sony, he can probably make a bunch more dreams come true, too.
- Carrie Underwood says her next album is a bit of a departure for her: “It definitely has a different sound. There are some thematic things that are quite different. I love strong women. So I want things that I can get on stage and just feel empowered.”
- Joshua Scott Jones, the artist formerly known as the male half of Steel Magnolia, released the cover art and track listing for his June 3 album release, The Healing.
- Emmylou Harris came in at No. 33 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artist’s Choice, a list of the greatest artists in history chosen by country stars themselves. Ashley Monroe had this to say about Harris’ influence: “I’ve always looked up to her so much because she’s a woman singing the kind of music she wanted to sing and doing it the way she wanted to do it. If it was a bluegrass record, so be it. It was something she was proud of, and she always stood true to that. She just sang, and there wasn’t a lot of extra to it. She would play her guitar and sing her heart out. And to me, personally, that’s what gets to me when I see somebody doing that — more than choreography or whatever it is that I can’t do. I guess that’s why I can relate to Emmylou because that’s what I can do the best is just play guitar and sing things I know about. So she’s definitely been a hero of mine for a long time.”
- Kenny Chesney will perform a one-hour acoustic set in New Orleans on May 17 to raise money for Matthew McConaughey and Drew Brees’ charities of choice.
- Australian country stars like Lee Kernaghan, Adam Brand and Steve Forde are just some of the artists contributing songs to a benefit album to help Aussie farmers stricken by drought.
- Florida Georgia Line doesn’t know what “bro-country” means.
- Recent music videos:
Laura Bell Bundy – “That’s What Angels Do”
The Seldom Scene – “With Body and Soul”
Morgan Evans – “Like a Tornado”
Bec Hance – “Nothin’ More to Say”
Sandra Lynn – “You Belong”
Sherry Lynn – “Girls Will be Girls”
Gregg Allman, Zac Brown and Vince Gill – “Midnight Rider”
Logan Mize – “Used Up”
Jake London – “Somewhere Down the Road”
Brandon Alan – “Different Way”
Nick Verzosa & the Noble Union – “Love on It”
Nate Green – “Wild and Free”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …