Les Paul Moves On; IBMA Awards Announces Nominees; Streaming Reba
- Les Paul, the father of modern guitar and pioneer of multi-track recording among other things, passed away yesterday at the age of 94 from complications of pneumonia. (The Wall Street Journal | NPR | USA Today | Associated Press)
- Texas Monthly published a round table interview with five Texas musicians — Guy Clark, Patty Griffin, Sonny Throckmorton, Robert Earl Keen, and Jack Ingram — on the subject of songwriting and more specifically, the secret to writing a great country song. (via Twang Nation)
- Tracy Lawrence was released from the hospital yesterday.
- Recent CD covers from Gloriana and Sugarland appear in Farce the Music’s August edition of honest album covers.
- Amber Waves of Twang’s Chip Frazier recommends Stand Up Man, the new album from Grant Langston, but discourages attending weddings naked.
- Starting today, Reba McEntire‘s new album Keep On Lovin’ You is available for streaming through CMT.
- CMT also has the brand new video for Brad Paisley‘s “Welcome to the Future.”
- Country Universe listed ten essential Diamond Rio songs and two hidden gems.
- Two-time bull riding champion Justin McBride will perform at the Grand Ole Opry tonight and he says it’s kind of scary.
On the Opry, McBride plans to sing the title track from his album and then do “Cadillac Cowboy,” a song popularized by another singing cowboy, the late Chris LeDoux.
“Part of the reason I did the record is that with the passing of Chris LeDoux, I don’t feel there’s much of a representation of cowboys in country music,” McBride said. “King George (Strait) is there, but after him there’s not much. I always used to say that I wasn’t a bull rider, I was a cowboy who rode bulls. Now, I want to be a cowboy that’s out playing country music.”
- The International Bluegrass Music Awards announced the 2009 nominees.
- Juli Thanki reviewed Lonely Street, the recent release from Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, who were also nominated in the aforementioned IBMA Awards for entertainer and vocal group of the year.
- Saving Country Music interviewed Justin Townes Earle after his set at Pickathon recently.
- Chet Flippo on Brooks & Dunn:
B&D are also one of the last few country acts that grown men can publicly admit to really, really liking. Or even love — on a purely musical level. Give me a list of other modern country acts that manly men will own up to actually admiring. I’m not naming names, but you know who I mean.
- Alt-512 Music Musings posted live mp3s of “She Ol” from The Gunhands and “The American Night” which segues into “Counter Men” from Roger Alan Wade.
- Mark Stuart & the Bastard Sons earned half a star more for their forthcoming album Bend in the Road than Willie Nelson scored for American Classic and Owen Temple did for Dollars and Dimes in the latest round of The Austin Chronicle album reviews. That’s a tough crowd.
- Despite drawing from some of the same influences as Raul Malo, Country California’s C.M. Wilcox says what George Palmer Macias does with them is wholly his own.
Macias’s self-released solo debut Firefly arrived earlier this year. The swanky, seductive grooves will be the first thing you notice, but Macias also has a literate songwriting style and an interesting, affecting voice. The album begins with “Break This Bottle,” with subdued guitar riffs giving way to the opening lines: “Starting all over again, looking at my face in the mirror/If youth is getting farther away, wisdom must be getting nearer.”
- Ninebullets.net confesses that Chris Knight‘s Trailer Tapes II doesn’t possess the same power as its predecessor, but claims that Knight at 3/4 power is better than many folks at full throttle.
- A Truer Sound posted a George Jones live in-studio compilation from 1963 and another live radio collection of Hank Jr. from 1980.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.