Leona Atkins Passed Away; Tim McGraw/Danielle Peck Have Their Days; Stream Joe Nichols
- Leona Atkins, widow of Chet Atkins, passed away on Wednesday at the age of 85.
- A Truer Sound reviewed James McMurtry‘s concert in Blacksburg, VA last week, where he was glad to play for a dancing crowd following his tour of Europe where the audience was mostly immobile. “They’re good people,” he said of his UK fans, “they just don’t move.” McMurtry wasn’t quite as enamored with the crowd at Mercy Lounge in Nashville on Tuesday, according to CMT’s Chris Parton:
But when that artist tells the biggest fans in the room to “Shut the f*** up,” “Go to the back of the room or I won’t keep singing” and walks off the stage during the encore because said fans were singing along to his song, I’m not inclined to listen anymore. Especially since earlier in the show he invited everyone to the foot of the Mercy Lounge stage to dance and get wild. Which one is it? Maybe these fans weren’t models of concert etiquette, but that doesn’t excuse a grown man’s temper tantrum. McMurtry is not new to this game and we were not in a library. And if I wanted to pay to get cussed at and made to feel uncomfortable … well I just don’t want to do that.
- McMurtry wasn’t the only artist to walk out on a performance. At two recent concerts, Keith Urban left the stage, ran outside, and jumped in a taxi.
- Some books, or CDs in this case, can accurately be judged by their covers.
- DFW.com’s Preston Jones on the new Ronnie Fauss three-song EP I Can’t Make You Happy, which can be streamed on his MySpace: “Ranging from the brutally confessional title track to the jaunty menace of One Eye Open, Fauss continues to build a body of work that will appeal to anyone who likes sentiments direct and instrumentation spare.”
- CMT is streaming Joe Nichols‘ newest record, Old Things New.
- Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn declared Oct. 20 Tim McGraw Day for recognizing the impact that Americans of Southern birth have had on America in the title track of his new album and for his interest in giving back to the community. No word on why Oct. 17 was christened Danielle Peck Day in Zanesville, Ohio.
- John Rich plans on naming his baby Cash and the expected delivery date is Jan. 7.
- Watch The Belleville Outfit perform “Sunday Morning” at Music Fog.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne kicked off his list of the worst singles of the decade with numbers 50 through 41.
- Kenny Chesney doesn’t think people realize how much works goes into one of his tours.
- The Bluegrass Blog shared attendance numbers from this year’s World Of Bluegrass and Fan Fest and compared them to last year’s numbers, and even back to 2005’s numbers. With the exception of the awards show, it’s been mostly downhill.
- Zac Brown on meeting Darrell Scott:
“I told him his own name, and then I ran away like Napoleon Dynamite with my arms by my side,” Zac tells The Boot. “I was like, ‘Hey, Darrell …’ He said, ‘How are you doing?'” I was like, ‘Uh … you’re Darrell Scott … my friend Matt, you know my friend, Matt.’ He said, ‘Oh, yeah?’ I said, ‘Yeah, my friend Matt plays bass with you sometimes.’
- Share a Halloween story with the folks at My Kind of Country and you could win a copy of Patty Loveless‘ 16 Biggest Hits disc and her recent Mountain Soul II record. That’s just the kind of mood they’re in.
- Watch Kris Kristofferson play “Closer to the Bone” in the studio.
- Carrie Underwood likens Twitter to organized stalking.
- In his latest blog post, Tom Russell describes the whirlwind tour following the release of his recent album Blood and Candle Smoke and the taping of Letterman.
- Country California: What’s your least favorite song by your favorite artist? And why?
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …