Legends & Lyrics Celebrates Creators of Song
- The “Legends & Lyrics” public television series is taping two shows per day for the next several days at the Grand Masonic Lodge in Nashville. Among the singer-songwriters performing are Guy Clark, Dwight Yoakam, Darryl Worley and Billy Joe Shaver. The tapings are open to the public at no charge if you print out an online pass. (full schedule)
- Although James Hand sounds like he graduated from the school of Hank Williams, in an audio segment for Texas Music Matters he reveals that Dean Martin had the biggest impact on him as a kid and the song that takes him back the mostest is “Let Me Go Lover.”
- Have you ever wondered what Keith Urban, Dierks Bentley or Kenny Chesney might look like with a mustache? The Tennessean has you covered. They photoshopped mustaches on those guys and other famous Nashvillians, including: Marty Stuart, the Rascal Flatts trio, Vince Gill and Chuck Wicks. (via CMT Blog)
- For their latest webisode, Lady Antebellum broke into an impromptu performance of “Achy Breaky Heart.”
- The Washington Post‘s J. Freedom du Lac published a condensed interview with Sugarland’s Jennifer Nettles on the topic of her award-winning song “Stay.”
- Vince Gill performed his second artist-in-residence concert at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on Tuesday night and invited Guy Clark — who previewed two songs from a new album that he’s completed — to join him. Pierce Greenberg reviewed Gill’s first show earlier this month.
- The lineup for the second annual DelFest has been announced. It’ll be held in Cumberland, MD. from May 22-24. (via CMT)
- Keeping with the festival theme, Old Settler’s Music Festival just added Robert Earl Keen and The Gourds to an already strong lineup. It will be held April 16-19 near Austin, TX.
- Dailey & Vincent played at Joe’s Pub in New York on Tuesday night, where Jon Caramanica says they spent about a third of their set paying tribute to the Statler Brothers.
- Paste magazine’s Andy Whitman on The Tiffany Transcriptions from Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys:
Wills’ omnipresent falsetto ejaculations (“Aaaaah-hah!”) are intrusively annoying, the band occasionally flubs a tune, and there’s enough sentimental cowpoke schmaltz here to gag a Longhorn steer. But the interplay among the fiddles and electric and steel guitars is frequently breathtaking. And, in seminal electric guitarist Junior Barnard, Wills may have unleashed the true granddaddy of rock ’n’ roll.
- Dolly Parton is disappointed that a part wasn’t written for her in the upcoming Hannah Montana movie.
- Lyle Lovett discusses his current acoustic tour with John Hiatt and the possibility of a live album from his shows with Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark in a Q&A with Detroit Free Press‘ Martin Bandyke.
- The Rascal Flatts concert at Madison Square Garden last Thursday night was the first time a country act has sold out the venue in three years. But really, that shouldn’t be a surprise — they’ve been selling out for several years now.
- The folks at Music Fog recorded video of Stoney LaRue performing “Solid Gone” in Memphis last night where the 2009 International Folk Alliance Conference is currently being held.
- Thanks to a little nudging from Rick, we’ve drawn the winners for our Willie and the Wheel giveaway and…sorry Rick, you’re not a winner, but Tom, Ryan, Dee, Griffin Nixon, and Helen are. Congrats y’all.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.