Legends & Lyrics Celebrates Creators of Song
- The “Legends & Lyrics” public television series is taping two shows per day for the next several days at the Grand Masonic Lodge in Nashville. Among the singer-songwriters performing are Guy Clark, Dwight Yoakam, Darryl Worley and Billy Joe Shaver. The tapings are open to the public at no charge if you print out an online pass. (full schedule)
- Although James Hand sounds like he graduated from the school of Hank Williams, in an audio segment for Texas Music Matters he reveals that Dean Martin had the biggest impact on him as a kid and the song that takes him back the mostest is “Let Me Go Lover.”
- Have you ever wondered what Keith Urban, Dierks Bentley or Kenny Chesney might look like with a mustache? The Tennessean has you covered. They photoshopped mustaches on those guys and other famous Nashvillians, including: Marty Stuart, the Rascal Flatts trio, Vince Gill and Chuck Wicks. (via CMT Blog)
- For their latest webisode, Lady Antebellum broke into an impromptu performance of “Achy Breaky Heart.”
- The Washington Post‘s J. Freedom du Lac published a condensed interview with Sugarland’s Jennifer Nettles on the topic of her award-winning song “Stay.”
- Vince Gill performed his second artist-in-residence concert at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on Tuesday night and invited Guy Clark — who previewed two songs from a new album that he’s completed — to join him. Pierce Greenberg reviewed Gill’s first show earlier this month.
- The lineup for the second annual DelFest has been announced. It’ll be held in Cumberland, MD. from May 22-24. (via CMT)
- Keeping with the festival theme, Old Settler’s Music Festival just added Robert Earl Keen and The Gourds to an already strong lineup. It will be held April 16-19 near Austin, TX.
- Dailey & Vincent played at Joe’s Pub in New York on Tuesday night, where Jon Caramanica says they spent about a third of their set paying tribute to the Statler Brothers.
- Paste magazine’s Andy Whitman on The Tiffany Transcriptions from Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys:
Wills’ omnipresent falsetto ejaculations (“Aaaaah-hah!”) are intrusively annoying, the band occasionally flubs a tune, and there’s enough sentimental cowpoke schmaltz here to gag a Longhorn steer. But the interplay among the fiddles and electric and steel guitars is frequently breathtaking. And, in seminal electric guitarist Junior Barnard, Wills may have unleashed the true granddaddy of rock ’n’ roll.
- Dolly Parton is disappointed that a part wasn’t written for her in the upcoming Hannah Montana movie.
- Lyle Lovett discusses his current acoustic tour with John Hiatt and the possibility of a live album from his shows with Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark in a Q&A with Detroit Free Press‘ Martin Bandyke.
- The Rascal Flatts concert at Madison Square Garden last Thursday night was the first time a country act has sold out the venue in three years. But really, that shouldn’t be a surprise — they’ve been selling out for several years now.
- The folks at Music Fog recorded video of Stoney LaRue performing “Solid Gone” in Memphis last night where the 2009 International Folk Alliance Conference is currently being held.
- Thanks to a little nudging from Rick, we’ve drawn the winners for our Willie and the Wheel giveaway and…sorry Rick, you’re not a winner, but Tom, Ryan, Dee, Griffin Nixon, and Helen are. Congrats y’all.
- Donald: "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe" is just one of my many favourites!
- paul w dennis: My favorite TTH sings are "I Can't Dance" and St. Louis Named A Shoe After Me" Of course, that just …
- luckyoldsun: Actually, it strikes me as a rather iffy subject for a museum. What kind of exhibits would they have? Jones …
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …