Lee Ann Womack to Sing at Maya Angelou’s Funeral; Alan Jackson Plans 25th Anniversary Tour; Nobel Prize Nominee Writes Country Songs
- Last night’s CMT Music Awards winners:
Group Video of the Year: The Band Perry – “Done”
Breakthrough Video of the Year: Cassadee Pope – “Wasting All These Tears”
Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton – “Doin’ What She Likes”
CMT Performance of the Year: Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie – “Oh No/All Night Long”
Collaborative Video of the Year: Florida Georgia Line with Luke Bryan – “This is How We Roll”
Female Video of the Year: Miranda Lambert – “Automatic”
Duo Video of the Year: Florida Georgia Line – “Round Here”
Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood – “See You Again”
CMT Impact Award: Alan Jackson (he was saluted by Lee Ann Womack and Kacey Musgraves who delivered a duet version of “Livin’ on Love”)
- Lee Ann Womack will sing “I Hope You Dance” at Maya Angelou’s funeral on Saturday. Womack’s biggest hit was one of Angelou’s favorite songs.
- Jean Shepard is going to hold a book signing on Friday afternoon from 1-2 p.m. at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Her new autobiography, Down Through the Years, can be found here.
- The lineup for The Green River Festival (July 12-13 in Greenfield, Mass.) looks mighty fine: Paul Burch, The Deadly Gentlemen, and Trombone Shorty are among the acts scheduled to perform.
- Alan Jackson played a surprise show last night. This morning a press conference was held at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to announce he’ll be embarking on a 25th anniversary tour. The Hall of Fame will also open an Alan Jackson exhibit on August 29; this fall, Jackson will be the HoF’s new Artist-in-Residence and will play two shows on October 8 and 22. More details will be announced shortly.
- Brian Mansfield of USA Today wrote a piece on Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam.
- Curly Seckler had another stroke on June 1. The 94-year-old bluegrasser now has partial paralysis on his left side and is currently in a rehabilitation center.
- Tim McGraw will appear on Oprah’s Master Class Sunday night.
- Riverfront Park in Beacon, NY has been renamed in honor of Pete and Toshi Seeger.
- Vince Gill gave Rolling Stone a great interview.
- Hank Williams III told The Charleston Gazette that he’s written and recorded a new album that’ll probably be released in 2015.
- Justin Townes Earle will release an album on Vagrant Records in the fall.
- CMT Edge posted Jake London’s “Somewhere Down the Road” video.
- Poet Joy Rainey King, who’s been nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature three times, is also a country songwriter.
- Baskery, a trio of Swedish sisters, serve up “badass banjo music.”
- Billboard reports that Miranda Lambert’s Platinum could sell up to 175,000 copies in its first week. Lambert also had a mighty entertaining conversation with our buddy Jewly Hight.
- Give a listen to Dom Flemons’ “Hot Chicken.”
- Jeff Tweedy’s next record, Sukierae, will be released September 16.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …