Lee Ann Womack Announces New Album; Yale Awards Ralph Stanley Honorary Doctorate; Album Releases
- Lee Ann Womack’s new record, The Way I’m Livin’, will be released September 23 on Sugar Hill Records. The album includes songs by Buddy Miller, Chris Knight, Hayes Carll, Roger Miller, Mando Saenz, and more. The title track will premiere on The Wall Street Journal’s website Thursday. (via press release)
- Download Dualtone Records’ Summer Sampler, which includes songs by Guy Clark, Shovels & Rope, and The Felice Brothers.
- Yale awarded Ralph Stanley an honorary doctorate (Stanley’s second) yesterday. The university president, Peter Salovey, plays in a band called The Professors of Bluegrass. (via press release)
- Yesterday Esquire premiered John Fullbright’s new video for “Happy.”
- Jeff Bridges and Sheryl Crow will cohost an Austin City Limits benefit concert on June 26. Other performers include Kris Kristofferson, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Earl Keen, and more. Portions of the event will be featured in the PBS special Austin City Limits Celebrates 40 Years, which is scheduled to be broadcast in early October.
- Thanks to our pal Grace for sending us this video of Ashley Monroe performing “Has Anybody Ever Told You” at the Opry.
- LeAnn Rimes will sing the national anthem at the Indy 500 on Saturday.
- American Songwriter chose the Eagles’ “Wasted Time” as their Lyric of the Week.
- Gretchen Peters wrote “A Letter to a Young Artist” for CD Baby.
- Randy Lewis of The L.A. Times wrote about “Country: Portraits of an American Sound,” an exhibit that opens at the Annenberg Space for Photography on May 31. The article also includes a neat photo gallery that features Lester Flatt, June Carter, Loretta Lynn, Hank Thompson, Doc Watson, Kacey Musgraves, and lots more.
- Henry Carrigan interviewed Candi Staton for No Depression.
- A campaign has been launched to raise money for a historical marker in Asheville, NC commemorating Bill Monroe’s first bluegrass radio broadcast, which happened in 1938 at WWNC.
- Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert will perform their duet at the CMT Music Awards next month.
- Americana singer-songwriter Jackie Greene’s next album will be released later this year on Yep Roc. Rolling Stone reports that the record is more stripped-down than Greene’s last release.
- Riser, the Dierks Bentley documentary, is streaming on Hulu.
- This week’s album releases (if you dig the content we post every weekday, we’d appreciate if if you’d buy your music through the affiliate links below to help us put a dent in site costs):
Hank Williams – The Garden Spot Programs, 1950
Zac Brown Band – The Grohl Sessions, Vol. 1
Chatham County Line – Tightrope
The Duhks – Beyond the Blue
Maeve Gilchrist – 20 Chandler Street
John Doe – The Best of John Doe: This Far
Darrell Webb Band – Dream Big
Lonesome Shack – More Primitive
Matt Harlan – Raven Hotel
The Bones of J.R. Jones – Dark Was the Yearling
Danny Roberts – Nighthawk
Joseph LeMay – Seventeen Acres
Blue Mother Tupelo – Only Sunshine
Fire Mountain – All Dies Down
Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner – Just Between You and Me
Roy Orbison – Mystery Girl: Deluxe Anniversary Edition
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.
- Donald: If you haven't heard...this one is a bit bizarre: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/johnny-cash-s-son-arrested-at-deer-lake-airport-after-removing-his-clothes-1.2814697?cmp=rss I think the link says almost all....