Lawsuit Filed Against “Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer” Singer
- Here’s an eBay auction for our readers with a big heart and some dough to spare. SIR Nashville is auctioning off a guitar autographed by twenty three famous musicians; a few of them are country (Dolly Parton, Wynonna, Randy Owen, Alison Krauss, Deanna Carter, Big & Rich). All of the proceeds will benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Watch: The vintage-style West Texas music video for Ryan Bingham’s “Southside of Heaven”.
- Even before the Bluebird opened in Nashville in 1983 Kent Finlay had started his weekly Songwriter’s Circle for the San Marcos/Austin, TX area. It was slow at first but eventually began to pick up steam. There will be a 20 year reunion of regulars from the Circle of ’87 tomorrow night (Nov. 29) at Cheatham Street Warehouse. Some of those past regulars were Todd Snider, Terri Hendrix, Al Barlow, James McMurtry, John Arthur Martinez, Bruce Robison, Hal Ketchum, and Kent Finlay.
- Read an excerpt from Trace Adkins’ new book, A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions From a Freethinking Roughneck.
… Uncle Cecil and his buddy propped me up in the middle of the bench seat of his pickup truck and sped off north toward Springhill. I remember looking in the rearview mirror and seeing my face. It looked like a slab of bloody meat hanging down off my skull. My nose was dangling by a single piece of skin. I guess I was in shock and out of my head.
“Hey! Uncle Cecil! Look!” I said, pulling my nose up and down off my face.
“Stop doing that, son!” he said, with a nauseated look on his face.
- Watch: Dolly has a new video, too, for “Better Get To Livin’”.
- PETA members are up in arms over the fur coat worn by John Rich at the CMA Awards.
- Eric Beall suggests that the music industry come to terms with what Alan Greenspan calls “creative destruction.” He doesn’t think that 10-14 song albums are suited for every artist, and continuing to release albums of that size only hurts the music itself and will eventually destroy what used to be a creative business.
- The 21st Annual Downtown Hoedown in Las Vegas on November 5th will feature free concerts from Hal Ketchum, Sawyer Brown, and Ray Scott.
- Elmo Shropshire owns the rights to the novelty holiday classic “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”, but is being sued by a company that says he interfered with a million-plus dollar deal “to sell musical trucks, bobblehead dolls, snow globes and cookie jars featuring characters from an animated show based on the novelty song.”
- In an interview with Nashville Hype Kristy Jackson–owner of Fever Pitch Music and writer of Reba McEntire’s hit song “Take It Back”– reveals what she thinks are the best and worst things about Nashville and the way the industry operates.
The best thing about the industry in this day and age is the fact that independent artists like myself now have access to distribution through the Internet and are able to make a living at what they are passionate about. The worst thing about this industry is the total corporate domination of the mainstream radio airways, the effect of the TV realty marketing machines and the fact that it’s not about great songs anymore.
- Bloodshot Records signed Justin Townes Earle and plans to re-distribute his EP from earlier this year, Yuma.
- After having come to grips with her fame Shania says she will be back next year with a new album.
- The end of 2007 is drawing nearer with each passing day, which means less news as everybody wraps things up and begins preparing for 2008. In the mean time we get to reflect on the past year. Amber Waves of Twang author Chip Frazier kicked off the reflection with his final Best of 2007 list in which he ranked the top 50 albums. That’s a pretty lofty endeavor if you ask me.
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …