Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood Lead ACM Nominees; Billy Joe Shaver Trial Date Set
- If you had any lingering doubts about Lady Antebellum‘s rising status, put ‘em to rest. The nominees for the Academy of Country Music Awards were announced and the trio earned not five nominations like Taylor Swift, or six like Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood, but a total of seven nominations. Off-camera nominees were announced as well.
New releases for the week of March 2, 2010 include:
- Back in high school John Rich gave a demo tape of himself performing a song called “Back To You” to a classmate in exchange for a small fluorescent painting of a cactus playing a guitar, which was to serve as cover art. That demo tape, minus the fluorescent cactus, is up for bid on eBay.
- Somebody thought it was a good idea to film a Gary Allan interview while he was being tattooed.
- With a camera in tow, Bryan Simpson and Matt Menefee of the national American touring band Cadillac Sky took to the neighborhood streets of Zumbrota, Minnesota to promote a local show. The results were mixed.
- Billy Joe Shaver‘s trial for allegedly shooting Billy Coker in the cheek back in 2007 is scheduled for April 5.
- Marty Stuart introduced the Mississippi Country Music Trail yesterday in Tupelo. The trail consists of a series of markers spread across the state featuring 30 musicians, including Elvis Presley, Jimmie Rodgers, Charley Pride, Conway Twitty, Tammy Wynette, and Stuart himself. (via reader email)
- Barry Mazor reviewed the Tom T. Hall-directed DVD Who Shot Lester Monroe:
It is, a lot of the time anyway, very funny. As the title suggests, it’s a murder mystery, sort of, involving the death of the vaguely familiar but unsurprisingly forgotten imaginary bluegrass luminary Lester Monroe. The pace overall is far from hard-driving, but the laconic, mainly improvised scenes have their own charm […]
- Farce the Music: Top 10 Things Easton Corbin is not more country than.
- Preview Bucky Covington‘s new song “A Father’s Love (The Only Way He Knew How).”
- Stuart Munro on the new Easton Corbin record:
The ballads (“Lonely Town’’), in particular, capture the melancholy so typical of Strait. All of that makes for a solid debut, and it’s more than enough to manifest Corbin’s potential. But since the world already has a George Strait, it also raises the question whether, next time out, Corbin will capitalize on that potential and begin to become his own man.
- Six past performers playing country singers have been nominated for Oscars, and three have won: Sissy Spacek, Robert Duvall, and Reese Witherspoon. The question remains, will Jeff Bridges join them?
- Listen to “Care” and “Island” from the new Austin Collins album at The Gobblers Knob.
- The website Mindi On Music posted a brief interview with Tracy Lawrence on the subject of his recent music.
- The Bear Family Records release Country & Western Hit Parade: Dim Lights, ThickSmoke, and Hillbilly Music, 1951-1955 nearly earned a perfect rating.
- EPs have been popular with smaller, independent musicians for a while now, but will Blake Shelton‘s new “Six Pak” album help accelerate the marketing trend among major-label artists?
- The Texas Music Matters song of the day is “Who’s To Blame, Senorita?” by the Texas Tornados.
- 78 Things You Didn’t Know About Johnny Cash (via That Nashville Sound)
After an oil leak from Jesse James [the camper Cash used for his amphetamine binges in the desert] set the Los Padres National Wildlife Refuge on fire, Cash became the only person ever successfully sued by the U.S. for starting a forest fire.
Music Fog: Nudie and the Turks – “The Pain in You”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …