Kristy Lee Cook Hooks Up With Arista Nashville; Single Due In August
- American Idol’s Kristy Lee Cook scored a record deal with 19 Recordings/Arista Nashville. Her first single, “15 Minutes of Shame,” will hit radio on August 11 and her full album is due out sometime this fall. Last month, in his article proclaiming country music as American Idol’s uncomfortable bedfellow, Matt predicted that she’d be signed to a major label deal. It’s yet to be seen whether American Idol will ask her back for a performance, thus making him a successful two-fer on predictions.
- Edward Morris has an excellent recap of the Country Music Hall of Fame induction ceremony, for The Statler Brothers and Tom. T. Hall, to go along with the Hall’s official press release.
- The title of greatest woman in country music, according to Country Universe, goes to the discernible Dolly Parton.
- Keith Urban released a greatest hits album last fall titled Keith Urban Greatest Hits: 18 Kids, where kids are a metaphor for songs. On August 19th, the album will be altered to read 19 Kids when”You Look Good In My Shirt” is added to the track listing. (read Ben’s review of the added song)
- Mike Severson on last night’s Nashville Star:
I do admit a couple of the contestants were fairly good and have potential, but there was only one future star on stage and that was Natalie Hemby.
No she’s not a finalist, but rather was the backup singer for Blake Shelton on his performance of “Home” last night.
- The Tennessean readers offer their own varied opinions about Nashville Star, with one reader calling it “a cringing embarrassment to Music City” and another declaring that “the good far outweighs the few negatives, and Nashville Star shines.”
- Sugarland will go on a 25-city tour to promote their newest album and they’ve invited Ashton Shepherd and Kellie Pickler to join them. Totally twangy.
- Craig Bickhardt takes a Robert Frost essay on poetry and applies the same principles to songwriting, even including examples.
- Over the past couple of months we’ve received several emails about Adam Gregory, so here’s his video for “Crazy Days.” Let us know what you think.
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …