Kristy Lee Cook Hooks Up With Arista Nashville; Single Due In August
- American Idol’s Kristy Lee Cook scored a record deal with 19 Recordings/Arista Nashville. Her first single, “15 Minutes of Shame,” will hit radio on August 11 and her full album is due out sometime this fall. Last month, in his article proclaiming country music as American Idol’s uncomfortable bedfellow, Matt predicted that she’d be signed to a major label deal. It’s yet to be seen whether American Idol will ask her back for a performance, thus making him a successful two-fer on predictions.
- Edward Morris has an excellent recap of the Country Music Hall of Fame induction ceremony, for The Statler Brothers and Tom. T. Hall, to go along with the Hall’s official press release.
- The title of greatest woman in country music, according to Country Universe, goes to the discernible Dolly Parton.
- Keith Urban released a greatest hits album last fall titled Keith Urban Greatest Hits: 18 Kids, where kids are a metaphor for songs. On August 19th, the album will be altered to read 19 Kids when”You Look Good In My Shirt” is added to the track listing. (read Ben’s review of the added song)
- Mike Severson on last night’s Nashville Star:
I do admit a couple of the contestants were fairly good and have potential, but there was only one future star on stage and that was Natalie Hemby.
No she’s not a finalist, but rather was the backup singer for Blake Shelton on his performance of “Home” last night.
- The Tennessean readers offer their own varied opinions about Nashville Star, with one reader calling it “a cringing embarrassment to Music City” and another declaring that “the good far outweighs the few negatives, and Nashville Star shines.”
- Sugarland will go on a 25-city tour to promote their newest album and they’ve invited Ashton Shepherd and Kellie Pickler to join them. Totally twangy.
- Craig Bickhardt takes a Robert Frost essay on poetry and applies the same principles to songwriting, even including examples.
- Over the past couple of months we’ve received several emails about Adam Gregory, so here’s his video for “Crazy Days.” Let us know what you think.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.