Kristofferson Presents Willie Nelson with NSAI Award; Emmylou Harris Featured in Southern Living; New Music Videos
- George Jones’ final album will be filled with Dolly Parton-penned tunes. In an interview with Billboard magazine, he says, “I love Dolly, always have and I am so honored to be doing a project with her…She is writing most of the songs and we all know what a great songwriter she is. I am just waiting for her to tell me what to sing and when to sing it!”
- The Nashville Songwriters Association International named a lifetime achievement award after Kris Kristofferson. On Sunday, Kristofferson presented the first award to Willie Nelson at the Bluebird. (warning: autoplay)
- Dale Watson penned a new short song for Blake Shelton based on Shelton’s “old farts and jackasses” comment.
- Kenny Chesney will release his next single, “Pirate Flag” (written by David Lee Murphy and Ross Copperman), on January 31.
- Peter Cooper interviewed Kris Kristofferson for a Tennessean feature. Kristofferson on songwriting: “Yeah, it don’t happen as often, but it still feels as good,” he says. “The songs take a lot longer now, but writing one feels the same as it did when I was 32.”
- If you missed it last Friday night, watch The Grascals’ performance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
- Rissi Palmer, who last dented the country charts with her 2007 self-titled album, released an under-the-radar children’s record back in November. You can stream all the new tracks at her website.
- Rounder Records has put together a seven-disc box set of Duane Allman highlights. Skydog: The Duane Allman Retrospective will be available on March 5.
- Gossip rag The Daily Mail and tabloid National Enquirer allege that that Mindy McCready is under investigation for possibly being involved in what was originally reported as the suicide of her boyfriend.
- A new restaurant in Dallas called The Rustic is part-owned by Pat Green.
- Jewly Hight finished her five-part series for CMT Edge by asking Barry Mazor, Chris Parton, and Craig Shelburne how they saw the Americana genre’s boundaries shifting in 2012.
- Congratulations to Listening Room Café owner Chris Blair on tonight’s re-opening at a new, larger location.
- Exile will kick off their 50 Years in Music Tour starting this week in Kansas City. (via press release)
- Southern Living featured Emmylou Harris and her love of all things Nashville.
- Toby Keith has unveiled a signature guitar created in conjunction with Takamine.
- TMZ reports that Randy Travis is seeking treatment for his alcohol problem. He’s also recording two albums for release by the end of the year.
- Sheryl Crow unveiled her new country single, “Easy,” on the Jimmy Kimmel Live television show.
- Stealing Angels band members Jennifer Wayne and Caroline Cutbirth are appearing together in the next season of CBS’ Amazing Race.
- Hunter Hayes’ “Wanted” was certified double platinum.
- Troy Cassar-Daley was the big winner at the Australian Country Music Awards.
- Philadelphia television host Sally Starr passed away at the age of 90. She passed along her love of country and western music while introducing Popeye cartoons and Three Stooges episodes. According to Barry Mazor, “she was also the wife of Jimmie Rodgers’ first cousin Jesse–by that time, a Kids’ TV cowboy as well.”
- The latest Quotable Country is up over at Country California.
- Here’s a video clip and more info on the Love for Levon DVD release coming out on March 19. (warning: autoplay)
- New music videos from the last week or so:
Josh Turner – “Find Me a Baby”
Josh Abbott Band – “I’ll Sing About Mine”
Holly Williams – “Drinkin’”
Carrie Underwood – “Two Black Cadillacs”
Madison Ellis – “So Good to Me”
Tattoo Billy – “Ain’t From the Country”
The High Rollers – “Colorado Girl”
Buck Sixx – “Sunday Morning Prayers”
Jason Petric – “Sunny Days”
The Jimmyriggers – “Sleepwalking”
Lee Kernaghan – “Ute Me”
Blackberry Smoke – “Pretty Little Lie”
Punch Brothers – “Movement and Location”
Jana Kramer – “Whiskey”
Rachel Potter – “Live the Dream”
Leah Seawright – “Set It on Fire”
Stone Foxes – “Everybody Knows”
SHEL – “The Man Who Was the Circus”
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.