Kristofferson Honored As BMI Icon; Live Video Stream of Underwood at Opry; Hough & Wicks Call It Quits
- Kris Kristofferson was named a BMI Icon at last night’s BMI Country Awards and Bobby Pinson took home the award for songwriter of the year. Visit The Tennessean for a full list of winners.
- In light of today’s holiday, revisit The 9513’s playlist “20 Top War and Soldier Songs.”
- George Strait‘s publicist confirmed that the singer will have a “very limited role” in the film A Pure Country Gift, which will star singer-songwriter Katrina Elam and is being billed as a “feature film sequel.”
Below are a couple of new releases I missed in yesterday’s roundup:
- It’s time for another country day at Farce the Music, where album covers are parodied and no one is too sacred.
- San Antonio Express-News Hector Saldaña on the new, self-titled Jessie James record:
Country music’s been going in this direction for a long time, but it’s still a shock to hear hip-hop loops, samplers and triggers on these pop numbers, or to hear so little twang in James’ Avril Lavigne impression on I Look So Good (Without You). It’s no surprise to see that [Katy] Perry and Kara DioGuardi have hands in the songwriting.
- Charlie Robison performs brother Bruce’s song “My Brother and Me.”
- The CMT New Video Evaluation Team reviewed Darius Rucker‘s video for “History in the Making,” Randy Houser‘s “Whistlin’ Dixie,” Jason Aldean‘s “The Truth,” and Justin Moore‘s “Backwoods.”
- Eric Brace and Peter Cooper performed “Sheboygan” (drunk again, drunk again!) for the Music Fog crew.
- Must Read: A boy, who happens to have autism, meets his hero, Dierks Bentley. (via @galleywinter)
“Bud, look,” I said. “Who’s that?”
Bud glanced up, then turned his back to Dierks, stared down at the ground, and said “That’s Dierks.”
I looked back at Dierks, who motioned to me – Should I come out?
I shrugged and nodded (I don’t know; I think so.), and in a flash he was with us. “Hey, Bud! It’s nice to meet you!”
Bud kept his eyes down, but lifted his hand and said to the ground, “Hey, Dierks!” I wasn’t sure how to read him. Was this moving too fast? Did we need to slow down?
I put my head next to his and asked, “Hey, Bud, what do you think about this?”
He answered softly, but clearly: “I think it’s really cool.”
- Carrie Underwood‘s Opry performance this Saturday will stream live on MySpace, marking the first time an Opry performance has been offered as a live video stream.
- Julianne Hough and Chuck Wicks quit each other.
- Country Haiku:
Take a look at this
I have a hillbilly bone
Right here IN MY PANTS
- Despite his comments last week, George Jones wants people to know that he isn’t against anyone, particularly not Carrie Underwood, who posed for pictures with Jones at a Dolly Parton CD/DVD release event on Monday.
- EW.com’s Chris Willman listed 25 country albums you need to hear.
- Free Download: Download a song from a CMA Award nominated artist for free courtesy of Amazon. Be sure to use the code before it expires on Nov. 22, and if you need some help choosing a song, The Raconteurs‘s “Old Enough,” featuring Ricky Skaggs and Ashley Monroe, is well worth downloading. There’s also Miranda Lambert‘s “California,” which was available as a bonus track on Me and Charlie Talking, or Brooks & Dunn‘s take on the Merle Haggard standard “The Fightin’ Side Of Me.”
- Be sure to join Jim, Juli, Karlie and Pierce (with special guest appearances by…) starting at 7:30 pm EST for our CMA Awards Live Blog.
Watch the new video for, and find out the inspiration behind, Caroline Herring‘s song “Tales of the Islander.”
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …