Kris Kristofferson to Play Andrew Jackson; Peter Rowan Announces New Album; Music Videos
- Jerry Sullivan of The Sullivan Family passed away on Saturday. John Lawless of Bluegrass Today posted an obituary.
- Rolling Stone Country has launched. Gus Wenner wrote what to expect in an Editor’s Note that you can read here.
- John Mellencamp has signed a “lifetime” recording contract with Republic Records and he will release his 22nd full-length album this fall. Produced by T Bone Burnett, it will be Mellencamp’s first record since 2010’s No Better Than This.
- Peter Rowan’s next record, Dharma Blues, will be released on Omnivore Recordings July 8. Guests include Gillian Welch. (via press release)
- BMLG’s Dot Records signed its first act: Maddie and Tae, two 18-year-olds from Oklahoma. They cite Shania Twain, Loretta Lynn, and Lee Ann Womack as influences.
- Kris Kristofferson will be playing President Andrew Jackson in an eight-hour miniseries on The History Channel.
- Sunny Sweeney’s Thirty Tigers project, Provoked, will be released on August 5.
- Terri Clark will release Some Songs on September 2. Two of the album’s tracks are written by Brandy Clark.
- Writer Karen Raizor reported on her Facebook page that Steel Guitar Hall of Famer Weldon Myrick has suffered a stroke.
- Kelley Mickwee premiered a song from her upcoming solo record, You Used to Live Here, which is scheduled to come out in late July. (h/t our Twitter friend Grace)
- Brooks and Dunn came in at No. 29 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists Choice countdown, a list of the most influential artists in history, chosen by country stars.
- Luke Bryan took a tumble off of a stage in North Carolina that resulted in stitches.
- Our pal Stephen Deusner interviewed John Fullbright on CMT Edge.
- Travis Tritt called out Brantley Gilbert’s team for “disrespect” when Tritt was only given eight feet of stage space during his opening set.
- Buddy Cannon has just finished recording Kenny Chesney’s next album and will produce a new John Berry album next. (via Facebook)
- It looks like Keith Urban isn’t going to get a statue in his Australian hometown.
- Ashley Monroe has recorded several songs for her next release.
- The always-captivating C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country column up over at Country California.
- Charlie Daniels was on Fox & Friends last Friday. He talked about his 56 years in the country music business and performed. (warning: autoplay)
- Miranda Lambert, out promoting her new record, will be The Tonight Show this evening. Tomorrow, she’ll appear on Good Morning America. Cindy Watts interviewed her for The Tennessean and Lambert was featured on NPR as well.
- Take a listen to Jana Kramer’s newest radio offering, “Love.”
- Pandora Jewelry has signed a strategic advertising agreement with Kellie Pickler.
- Garth Brooks’ legal team made sure that the radio experiment known as GARTH FM was short-lived.
- Billie Jean Osborne, the creator of the Kentucky Opry, passed away at the age of 82.
- It’s not new, but new to me, so I thought I’d share. The congregation of St. Augustine’s Chapel in Nashville is a who’s who in country music, and each Sunday, they record performances from the likes of Radney Foster, Marcus Hummon, Sylvia, Chris Roberts, Hannah Blaylock and Lindsay Lawler ; they also offer complimentary downloads and streaming.
- New videos from the past little while:
Tim Hicks – “Here Comes the Thunder”
One More Girl – “Drunk Heart”
Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry – “Roar”
Dolly Parton – “Home”
Joe Nichols – “Yeah”
Charlie Worsham – “Young to See”
Run River North – “Run River Run”
Suburban Dirts – “Fire on the Campsite”
James House – “Every Time It Rains”
Jamie O’Neal – “Wide Awake”
SHEL – “Vinyl Memories”
Logan Brill – “The Bees”
Matt Williams and Alyssa Morrissey – “Make Love Tonight”
Nikki Lane – “Right Time”
Charlie Daniels Band – “Tangled Up in Blue”
Pawnshop Kings – “Fall Apart”
Howlin’ Brothers – “Night and Day”
Rachel Lipsky – “Bones”
Stu Larson – “Thirteen Sad Farewells”
Eli Young Band – “Dust”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …