Kix Brooks Bucks Trend and Loses the ‘Stache; Alan Jackson Celebrates 34 Number Ones with New Release
- Kix Brooks sans ‘stache.
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica on the new Keith Urban record, Get Closer:
His lightly scuffed but comely voice, like his adept but unfussy guitar playing, presents a palatable blankness: beyond the odd glint of banjo or dollop of twang, these songs could be the work of someone like, well, Richard Marx, who shares a writing credit on “Long Hot Summer.” When Mr. Urban chirps the title phrase of “Put You in a Song,” he almost seems to be advertising a service. Something similar happens on “You Gonna Fly” and “Georgia Woods,” tunes that manage to make a direct address feel impersonal, even rote.
New releases for the week of November 23, 2010 include:
Amazon has a code that’s good for $3 off songs and albums on Amazon MP3.
- Somebody get this song to Trace Adkins.
- The Crossroads marketing company released a digital Christmas EP featuring three of its bluegrass artists: Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Balsam Range, and Darin & Brooke Aldridge. Listen to samples at The Bluegrass Blog.
- For this week’s Acoustic Motel, Jack Ingram has another original, this one a brand new song he wrote while he was in Nashville for the CMA Awards. It’s called “What’s a Boy To Do” and was written with Mando Saenz (MySpace).
- Rachel Harrington‘s new album, Celilo Falls, isn’t scheduled for release in the US until next February, but an advance copy can be downloaded on CD Baby today, also its official Europe/UK release date. (Artist website)
- Keith Urban announced more than 40 tour dates for next year.
- Ninebullets.net on the Randy Rogers Band:
“They Call It The Hill Country” is one of the few songs that brings tears to my eyes no matter my mood or where I am. They are celebrating their ten year anniversary this month and it’s been ten years of great music. I am always stoked when a new RRB album comes out and have yet to be disappointed. Whether it’s heartbreak or honky tonk Randy can write it and make you feel every emotion along the way.
- Come Dec. 11, Marty Stuart will receive a Harmony Award for his support and help in developing Nashville’s musical culture, and showing particular interest in the many kinds of music which exist there in harmony.
- T Bone Burnett on the discovery of The Secret Sisters:
“This is the music business behaving as it should and functioning as it should as well,” Burnett said. “The record industry is guilty of all sorts of offenses against humanity as far as I’m concerned, but in this case they’re doing the right thing.”
- Kenny Rogers announced the release of his first-ever live Christmas album. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Ticketmaster boogered up the prices for Kenny Chesney‘s concert in Philadelphia next year and charged $25 for a ticket priced at $99.50.
- Big Rock Candy Mountain introduced Girl Haggard and the group’s album Country and Eastern:
The songs on “Country And Eastern” are full of alcohol, regret, and defiance, at once sly winkin’ and pickup-truck ready, full throttle tavern-smoked vintage, loaded and brawlin’. Lead singer Mandy Allen is the Loretta Lynn of the trailerpark […].
- Writing for American Songwriter, rock critic Adam Gold calls Alan Jackson‘s duet with the Zac Brown Band on “As She’s Walking Away” the highlight of the 20 songs he heard on the new Jackson collection 34 Number Ones, and doesn’t have much else nice to say about the set.
Here’s Gary Allan performing “No Regrets” in concert about a month and a half ago (via Spinner):
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.