Kid Rock to Celebrate Tootsie’s 51st Birthday; Stream Shelby Lynne and Tom Waits Records; New Album Releases
- Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, John Bettis, Thom Schuyler, and Allen Shamblin were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Here’s an excerpt from Brooks’ acceptance speech: “The songwriting, that’s what it’s all about. This is it. We can talk all day about entertainer. We can talk all day about record sales, but it starts with the song and to be confused as a songwriter and then honored as one, that’s the bomb. I can go in that room and show you all the guys I hang out with and they are songwriters, and to be called that with these guys, I’m very flattered. I’m not saying I agree with it, but I’m very flattered.”
- Chips Moman (“Luckenbach, Texas”), Don Schlitz (“The Gambler”) and more have been nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Check out the full list of nominees here. The inductions will be held in June of 2012.
- Here’s a new Quotable Country.
- Rascal Flatts, Sara Evans, and Hunter Hayes are coming to a town near you on their “Thaw Out 2012” tour.
- Jewly Hight wrote a nice feature on Connie Smith.
- Give a listen to scrappy string band The Devil Makes Three on the World Café.
- Jennifer Nettles is teamed up with the Shalom Foundation to help launch health initiative projects. Go to Sugarland’s site to see a video of Nettles’ recent trip to Guatemala, where a pediatric surgery center (built in part from donations of $1 for every Sugarland ticket sold over the past four years) was recently built.
- Mountain Heart’s Josh Shilling gave Bluegrass Today an update on his forthcoming solo record.
- Kim Ruehl took a look back at last week’s Americana Conference and Festival.
- If you missed last month’s IBMA Awards, or just want to relive some of the killer live performances, Cybergrass is streaming the show.
- Carrie Underwood and volunteers helped build a playground in Underwood’s hometown.
- Kid Rock is helping Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge celebrate its 51st birthday.
- Album releases:
Various Artists – T-Bone Burnett Presents the Speaking Clock Revue: Live From the Beacon Theatre (Currently available for $3.99)
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …