Kid Rock to Celebrate Tootsie’s 51st Birthday; Stream Shelby Lynne and Tom Waits Records; New Album Releases
- Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, John Bettis, Thom Schuyler, and Allen Shamblin were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Here’s an excerpt from Brooks’ acceptance speech: “The songwriting, that’s what it’s all about. This is it. We can talk all day about entertainer. We can talk all day about record sales, but it starts with the song and to be confused as a songwriter and then honored as one, that’s the bomb. I can go in that room and show you all the guys I hang out with and they are songwriters, and to be called that with these guys, I’m very flattered. I’m not saying I agree with it, but I’m very flattered.”
- Chips Moman (“Luckenbach, Texas”), Don Schlitz (“The Gambler”) and more have been nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Check out the full list of nominees here. The inductions will be held in June of 2012.
- Here’s a new Quotable Country.
- Rascal Flatts, Sara Evans, and Hunter Hayes are coming to a town near you on their “Thaw Out 2012” tour.
- Jewly Hight wrote a nice feature on Connie Smith.
- Give a listen to scrappy string band The Devil Makes Three on the World Café.
- Jennifer Nettles is teamed up with the Shalom Foundation to help launch health initiative projects. Go to Sugarland’s site to see a video of Nettles’ recent trip to Guatemala, where a pediatric surgery center (built in part from donations of $1 for every Sugarland ticket sold over the past four years) was recently built.
- Mountain Heart’s Josh Shilling gave Bluegrass Today an update on his forthcoming solo record.
- Kim Ruehl took a look back at last week’s Americana Conference and Festival.
- If you missed last month’s IBMA Awards, or just want to relive some of the killer live performances, Cybergrass is streaming the show.
- Carrie Underwood and volunteers helped build a playground in Underwood’s hometown.
- Kid Rock is helping Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge celebrate its 51st birthday.
- Album releases:
Various Artists – T-Bone Burnett Presents the Speaking Clock Revue: Live From the Beacon Theatre (Currently available for $3.99)
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …