Kid Rock to Celebrate Tootsie’s 51st Birthday; Stream Shelby Lynne and Tom Waits Records; New Album Releases
- Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, John Bettis, Thom Schuyler, and Allen Shamblin were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Here’s an excerpt from Brooks’ acceptance speech: “The songwriting, that’s what it’s all about. This is it. We can talk all day about entertainer. We can talk all day about record sales, but it starts with the song and to be confused as a songwriter and then honored as one, that’s the bomb. I can go in that room and show you all the guys I hang out with and they are songwriters, and to be called that with these guys, I’m very flattered. I’m not saying I agree with it, but I’m very flattered.”
- Chips Moman (“Luckenbach, Texas”), Don Schlitz (“The Gambler”) and more have been nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Check out the full list of nominees here. The inductions will be held in June of 2012.
- Here’s a new Quotable Country.
- Rascal Flatts, Sara Evans, and Hunter Hayes are coming to a town near you on their “Thaw Out 2012” tour.
- Jewly Hight wrote a nice feature on Connie Smith.
- Give a listen to scrappy string band The Devil Makes Three on the World Café.
- Jennifer Nettles is teamed up with the Shalom Foundation to help launch health initiative projects. Go to Sugarland’s site to see a video of Nettles’ recent trip to Guatemala, where a pediatric surgery center (built in part from donations of $1 for every Sugarland ticket sold over the past four years) was recently built.
- Mountain Heart’s Josh Shilling gave Bluegrass Today an update on his forthcoming solo record.
- Kim Ruehl took a look back at last week’s Americana Conference and Festival.
- If you missed last month’s IBMA Awards, or just want to relive some of the killer live performances, Cybergrass is streaming the show.
- Carrie Underwood and volunteers helped build a playground in Underwood’s hometown.
- Kid Rock is helping Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge celebrate its 51st birthday.
- Album releases:
Various Artists – T-Bone Burnett Presents the Speaking Clock Revue: Live From the Beacon Theatre (Currently available for $3.99)
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …