Kid Rock to Celebrate Tootsie’s 51st Birthday; Stream Shelby Lynne and Tom Waits Records; New Album Releases
- Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, John Bettis, Thom Schuyler, and Allen Shamblin were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Here’s an excerpt from Brooks’ acceptance speech: “The songwriting, that’s what it’s all about. This is it. We can talk all day about entertainer. We can talk all day about record sales, but it starts with the song and to be confused as a songwriter and then honored as one, that’s the bomb. I can go in that room and show you all the guys I hang out with and they are songwriters, and to be called that with these guys, I’m very flattered. I’m not saying I agree with it, but I’m very flattered.”
- Chips Moman (“Luckenbach, Texas”), Don Schlitz (“The Gambler”) and more have been nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Check out the full list of nominees here. The inductions will be held in June of 2012.
- Here’s a new Quotable Country.
- Rascal Flatts, Sara Evans, and Hunter Hayes are coming to a town near you on their “Thaw Out 2012” tour.
- Jewly Hight wrote a nice feature on Connie Smith.
- Give a listen to scrappy string band The Devil Makes Three on the World Café.
- Jennifer Nettles is teamed up with the Shalom Foundation to help launch health initiative projects. Go to Sugarland’s site to see a video of Nettles’ recent trip to Guatemala, where a pediatric surgery center (built in part from donations of $1 for every Sugarland ticket sold over the past four years) was recently built.
- Mountain Heart’s Josh Shilling gave Bluegrass Today an update on his forthcoming solo record.
- Kim Ruehl took a look back at last week’s Americana Conference and Festival.
- If you missed last month’s IBMA Awards, or just want to relive some of the killer live performances, Cybergrass is streaming the show.
- Carrie Underwood and volunteers helped build a playground in Underwood’s hometown.
- Kid Rock is helping Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge celebrate its 51st birthday.
- Album releases:
Various Artists – T-Bone Burnett Presents the Speaking Clock Revue: Live From the Beacon Theatre (Currently available for $3.99)
- Kanenrake Stacey: I always wondered why RCA gave up on her so fast, I'm glad to know that it was probably because …
- bob: Great interview of an impressive young lady. I'll have to check out that Blues album when it comes out.
- Jack Pliskin: Oh it's good to hear some real country music being made in this day and age. Don Williams is simply a …
- darol anger: This band is not one you're likely to hear out on the fester or club circuit. It's a rare and …
- Livewire: So that's the interview Best listen to the album and decide for yourself. It was slated in UK's Country Music People Magazine A …
- Stormy: A little more glam rock than New Wave, but here is Kenneth Brian covering David Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhfD77QOLY
- Jack Williams: Forgot this one: Richard Thompson - Tempted (Squeeze)
- Donald: But, Hurt isn't a new wave song. On the other hand, Lydia Loveless covering "They Don't Know," written and performed …
- luckyoldsun: Isn't "Hurt" the key Johnny Cash selection in this motif?--That's the song that made the big impact, with the award-winning …
- Henry: Goes the other way, tool, with the late great Alex Chilton--during a Punk period for him--singing "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" on "Electricity by …