Kid Rock to Celebrate Tootsie’s 51st Birthday; Stream Shelby Lynne and Tom Waits Records; New Album Releases
- Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, John Bettis, Thom Schuyler, and Allen Shamblin were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Here’s an excerpt from Brooks’ acceptance speech: “The songwriting, that’s what it’s all about. This is it. We can talk all day about entertainer. We can talk all day about record sales, but it starts with the song and to be confused as a songwriter and then honored as one, that’s the bomb. I can go in that room and show you all the guys I hang out with and they are songwriters, and to be called that with these guys, I’m very flattered. I’m not saying I agree with it, but I’m very flattered.”
- Chips Moman (“Luckenbach, Texas”), Don Schlitz (“The Gambler”) and more have been nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Check out the full list of nominees here. The inductions will be held in June of 2012.
- Here’s a new Quotable Country.
- Rascal Flatts, Sara Evans, and Hunter Hayes are coming to a town near you on their “Thaw Out 2012” tour.
- Jewly Hight wrote a nice feature on Connie Smith.
- Give a listen to scrappy string band The Devil Makes Three on the World Café.
- Jennifer Nettles is teamed up with the Shalom Foundation to help launch health initiative projects. Go to Sugarland’s site to see a video of Nettles’ recent trip to Guatemala, where a pediatric surgery center (built in part from donations of $1 for every Sugarland ticket sold over the past four years) was recently built.
- Mountain Heart’s Josh Shilling gave Bluegrass Today an update on his forthcoming solo record.
- Kim Ruehl took a look back at last week’s Americana Conference and Festival.
- If you missed last month’s IBMA Awards, or just want to relive some of the killer live performances, Cybergrass is streaming the show.
- Carrie Underwood and volunteers helped build a playground in Underwood’s hometown.
- Kid Rock is helping Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge celebrate its 51st birthday.
- Album releases:
Various Artists – T-Bone Burnett Presents the Speaking Clock Revue: Live From the Beacon Theatre (Currently available for $3.99)
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !