Kevin Sharp Passes Away; Ashley Monroe Offers Free Download; New Music Videos
- Kevin Sharp passed away on Saturday night due to “ongoing complications from past stomach surgeries and digestive issues.” He was 43. I can speak from personal experience that there are few folks on the planet that had a stronger passion for childhood cancer advocacy. Long after his hits “Nobody Knows,” “She’s Sure Taking It Well,” and “If You Love Somebody,” left the charts and radio, he was still campaigning tirelessly for the cause.
- Ashley Monroe is offering fans a free download of a new, acoustic version of “Weed Instead of Roses.”
- Jerrod Niemann’s “Drink to That All Night” hit Number One on Billboard’s country airplay chart.
- Rolling Stone Country will go live on June 1.
- Michelle Obama will guest star on the May 7 episode of Nashville.
- Chuck Dauphin interviewed Randy Houser (the new face of Eckrich deli meats and sausages) over at The 615.
- Nate Rau (the Tennessean) reports that a “collection of record labels sued Pandora this week in an effort to compel the digital music heavyweight to pay royalties to artists and rights holders when a pre-1972 song is played.”
- Sugarland’s Kristian Bush will do as his partner Jennifer Nettles did and release a solo album.
- Dave Paulson interviewed Kenny Loggins about the Blue Sky Riders.
- Neil Young released a surprise covers record called A Letter Home.
- Ottawa Country Music Hall of Famer Harry “Buster” Brown passed away at the age of 63.
- Thirty Tigers will release a new album from Greensky Bluegrass on September 9. It’ll be called If Sorrows Swim.
- Alanna Nash conducted an excellent interview of Rodney Crowell.
- Radio.com’s Annie Reuter interviewed Charlie Daniels about his new Bob Dylan tribute album, Off the Grid.
- Robert Bouchard, Gordon Stobbe, Cindy Church, and Sugartime have been named the Nova Scotia Country Music Hall of Fame’s newest inductees. The official ceremony will be held on September 13.
- My hometown paper, The Sacramento Bee, published a nice interview with Jon Pardi.
- Listen to “On Vinyl” from Josh Grider’s new album, Luck & Desire, which comes out next week.
- New music videos from the last week or two, with a couple of live videos thrown in for good measure:
Sturgill Simpson – “Turtles All the Way Down”
Gregg Allman and Jackson Browne – “Melissa”
The Shires – “Nashville Grey Skies”
The Del McCoury Band – “Misty” (Live at WAMU Bluegrass Country)
Solas – “Girls on the Line” (Live at WAMU Bluegrass Country)
Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road – “Living with the Shades Pulled Down”
Kyle Park – “Long Distance Relationship”
Holly Williams – “The Highway” (live at the Grand Ole Opry)
Marshall Dane – “Alcohol Abuse”
Jennifer Nettles – “Jealousy” (Ram Country Live)
Del Barber – “Living with a Long Way to Go”
Lera Lynn – “Lying in the Sun”
Lee Brice – “I Don’t Dance”
Cerys Matthews – “Only a Fool”
Krista Scoggins – “Shine”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …