Kern County Honors Bakersfield Legend With Merle Haggard Drive
- Today Merle Haggard gets his own road. California’s Kern County approved the renaming of Seventh Standard Road to Merle Haggard Drive. The ceremony will take place at the Bakersfield Harley Davidson and will also mark the beginning of an initiative to create a greenway next to Haggard Drive to be known as Hag’s Place.
- Hector Saldaña says when Sara Evans broke into a twangy, a cappella three-part harmony with her two sisters on “In the Pines” at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo, it was as genuine a highlight of any rodeo in recent memory.
- Miranda Lambert helps raise funds for the Humane Society of East Texas and even adopted her own dog from the pound. She says one of her dog’s quirks is that she won’t pee anywhere except on perfect grass.
- For an artist that has many No. 1s as George Strait I imagine it’s hard to get excited about much in the music industry anymore, but his newest single, “I Saw God Today”, is the highest single debut of his career at nineteen on the R&R and Billboard charts. His next album, Troubadour, is due out on April 1st.
- A topic that never loses its buoyancy: Dolly Parton nicknamed her boobs. GAC joins the fun by calling her tour “a bust.”
- The Big Rock Candy Mountain blogger asks for your perfect albums and offers up The Trinity Sessions by The Cowboy Junkies as his perfect album.
It’s that kind of album. Spare and intimate, hushed and built for radio static, the angelic and sleepy voice of Margo Timmins. And I’m obsessed with voices, not the “perfect” voice, but the voice that sounds the most human, or contains the most humanity. Margo Timmins is both, and she melted my teenage heart, sad, sultry, and sublime.
- Carrie Underwood says she doesn’t really know what to do with babies, but says motherhood and babies “are probably inevitable at some point.”
- Songwriter Bob McDill set a schedule of writing one song a week for three decades and was rewarded with dozens of No. 1s and hit songs such as: “Amanda”, “Everything That Glitters (Is Not Gold)”, and “Good Ole Boys Like Me”. On March 1st he’ll be at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum for the quarterly series Poets and Prophets: Legendary Country Songwriters. He’ll participate in an in-depth, one-on-one interview, perform briefly, and sign autographs.
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.