Kenny Rogers to Receive Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award; Free Alejandro Escovedo MP3; New Album Releases
- Bloodshot Records is offering a free download of Alejandro Escovedo’s version of The Velvet Underground’s “Pale Blue Eyes” in remembrance of Lou Reed.
- Robert Hilburn, author of Johnny Cash: A Life, was interviewed on NPR. Listen here.
- Robbie Fulks is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Loretta Lynn has postponed her Iowa tour dates; she’s currently receiving treatment for exhaustion.
- JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers are featured on Nashville Time Machine.
- Iris DeMent appears on Mason Jennings’ new song, “Instrument.”
- No real surprises in this year’s American Country Awards nominees. Trace Adkins and Danica Patrick will host the live show in Vegas on December 10.
- An Indiana man was killed after he walked into the path of Jason Aldean’s tour bus.
- David Serby has a new double album available on his site.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new edition of Quotable Country.
- The Band Perry and Lady Antebellum have been added to the CMA Awards’ lineup of performers. Jennifer Nettles, Darius Rucker, and Rascal Flatts will take part in a tribute to new Hall of Famer Kenny Rogers, who will receive the Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award that evening.
- Seth and Scott Avett talk about their new album, bird imagery, and more in this interview with Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly.
- Nick Ryerson writes about “Stories and Reformation in Outlaw Country” for the newest installment of his “God and Country Music” column.
- Bluegrass band NewTown will release their next album, Time Machine, on November 12.
- This week’s album releases:
Julie Roberts – Good Wine and Bad Decisions
Jim Lauderdale – Old Time Angels
Possessed By Paul James – There Will Be Nights When I’m Lonely
W.B. Givens – Locomotion
Dave Van Ronk – Down in Washington Square: The Smithsonian Folkways Collection
Sam Riggs & The Night People – Outrun the Sun
The Devil Makes Three – I’m a Stranger Here
Miss Tess & The Talkbacks – The Love I Have for You
Toby Keith – Drinks After Work
Thomas Rhett – It Goes Like This
Tompall & The Glaser Brothers – Lovin’ Her Was Easier/After All These Years
George Ducas – 4340
Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped in Red
Restless Heart – A Restless Heart Christmas
John Fahey – Christmas Guitar Soli with John Fahey
Mindy Smith – Snowed In
Trace Adkins – The King’s Gift
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."