Kenny Rogers to Receive Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award; Free Alejandro Escovedo MP3; New Album Releases
- Bloodshot Records is offering a free download of Alejandro Escovedo’s version of The Velvet Underground’s “Pale Blue Eyes” in remembrance of Lou Reed.
- Robert Hilburn, author of Johnny Cash: A Life, was interviewed on NPR. Listen here.
- Robbie Fulks is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Loretta Lynn has postponed her Iowa tour dates; she’s currently receiving treatment for exhaustion.
- JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers are featured on Nashville Time Machine.
- Iris DeMent appears on Mason Jennings’ new song, “Instrument.”
- No real surprises in this year’s American Country Awards nominees. Trace Adkins and Danica Patrick will host the live show in Vegas on December 10.
- An Indiana man was killed after he walked into the path of Jason Aldean’s tour bus.
- David Serby has a new double album available on his site.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new edition of Quotable Country.
- The Band Perry and Lady Antebellum have been added to the CMA Awards’ lineup of performers. Jennifer Nettles, Darius Rucker, and Rascal Flatts will take part in a tribute to new Hall of Famer Kenny Rogers, who will receive the Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award that evening.
- Seth and Scott Avett talk about their new album, bird imagery, and more in this interview with Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly.
- Nick Ryerson writes about “Stories and Reformation in Outlaw Country” for the newest installment of his “God and Country Music” column.
- Bluegrass band NewTown will release their next album, Time Machine, on November 12.
- This week’s album releases:
Julie Roberts – Good Wine and Bad Decisions
Jim Lauderdale – Old Time Angels
Possessed By Paul James – There Will Be Nights When I’m Lonely
W.B. Givens – Locomotion
Dave Van Ronk – Down in Washington Square: The Smithsonian Folkways Collection
Sam Riggs & The Night People – Outrun the Sun
The Devil Makes Three – I’m a Stranger Here
Miss Tess & The Talkbacks – The Love I Have for You
Toby Keith – Drinks After Work
Thomas Rhett – It Goes Like This
Tompall & The Glaser Brothers – Lovin’ Her Was Easier/After All These Years
George Ducas – 4340
Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped in Red
Restless Heart – A Restless Heart Christmas
John Fahey – Christmas Guitar Soli with John Fahey
Mindy Smith – Snowed In
Trace Adkins – The King’s Gift
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …