Kenny Rogers to Receive Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award; Free Alejandro Escovedo MP3; New Album Releases
- Bloodshot Records is offering a free download of Alejandro Escovedo’s version of The Velvet Underground’s “Pale Blue Eyes” in remembrance of Lou Reed.
- Robert Hilburn, author of Johnny Cash: A Life, was interviewed on NPR. Listen here.
- Robbie Fulks is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Loretta Lynn has postponed her Iowa tour dates; she’s currently receiving treatment for exhaustion.
- JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers are featured on Nashville Time Machine.
- Iris DeMent appears on Mason Jennings’ new song, “Instrument.”
- No real surprises in this year’s American Country Awards nominees. Trace Adkins and Danica Patrick will host the live show in Vegas on December 10.
- An Indiana man was killed after he walked into the path of Jason Aldean’s tour bus.
- David Serby has a new double album available on his site.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new edition of Quotable Country.
- The Band Perry and Lady Antebellum have been added to the CMA Awards’ lineup of performers. Jennifer Nettles, Darius Rucker, and Rascal Flatts will take part in a tribute to new Hall of Famer Kenny Rogers, who will receive the Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award that evening.
- Seth and Scott Avett talk about their new album, bird imagery, and more in this interview with Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly.
- Nick Ryerson writes about “Stories and Reformation in Outlaw Country” for the newest installment of his “God and Country Music” column.
- Bluegrass band NewTown will release their next album, Time Machine, on November 12.
- This week’s album releases:
Julie Roberts – Good Wine and Bad Decisions
Jim Lauderdale – Old Time Angels
Possessed By Paul James – There Will Be Nights When I’m Lonely
W.B. Givens – Locomotion
Dave Van Ronk – Down in Washington Square: The Smithsonian Folkways Collection
Sam Riggs & The Night People – Outrun the Sun
The Devil Makes Three – I’m a Stranger Here
Miss Tess & The Talkbacks – The Love I Have for You
Toby Keith – Drinks After Work
Thomas Rhett – It Goes Like This
Tompall & The Glaser Brothers – Lovin’ Her Was Easier/After All These Years
George Ducas – 4340
Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped in Red
Restless Heart – A Restless Heart Christmas
John Fahey – Christmas Guitar Soli with John Fahey
Mindy Smith – Snowed In
Trace Adkins – The King’s Gift
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.