Kenny Rogers to Receive Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award; Free Alejandro Escovedo MP3; New Album Releases
- Bloodshot Records is offering a free download of Alejandro Escovedo’s version of The Velvet Underground’s “Pale Blue Eyes” in remembrance of Lou Reed.
- Robert Hilburn, author of Johnny Cash: A Life, was interviewed on NPR. Listen here.
- Robbie Fulks is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Loretta Lynn has postponed her Iowa tour dates; she’s currently receiving treatment for exhaustion.
- JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers are featured on Nashville Time Machine.
- Iris DeMent appears on Mason Jennings’ new song, “Instrument.”
- No real surprises in this year’s American Country Awards nominees. Trace Adkins and Danica Patrick will host the live show in Vegas on December 10.
- An Indiana man was killed after he walked into the path of Jason Aldean’s tour bus.
- David Serby has a new double album available on his site.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new edition of Quotable Country.
- The Band Perry and Lady Antebellum have been added to the CMA Awards’ lineup of performers. Jennifer Nettles, Darius Rucker, and Rascal Flatts will take part in a tribute to new Hall of Famer Kenny Rogers, who will receive the Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award that evening.
- Seth and Scott Avett talk about their new album, bird imagery, and more in this interview with Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly.
- Nick Ryerson writes about “Stories and Reformation in Outlaw Country” for the newest installment of his “God and Country Music” column.
- Bluegrass band NewTown will release their next album, Time Machine, on November 12.
- This week’s album releases:
Julie Roberts – Good Wine and Bad Decisions
Jim Lauderdale – Old Time Angels
Possessed By Paul James – There Will Be Nights When I’m Lonely
W.B. Givens – Locomotion
Dave Van Ronk – Down in Washington Square: The Smithsonian Folkways Collection
Sam Riggs & The Night People – Outrun the Sun
The Devil Makes Three – I’m a Stranger Here
Miss Tess & The Talkbacks – The Love I Have for You
Toby Keith – Drinks After Work
Thomas Rhett – It Goes Like This
Tompall & The Glaser Brothers – Lovin’ Her Was Easier/After All These Years
George Ducas – 4340
Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped in Red
Restless Heart – A Restless Heart Christmas
John Fahey – Christmas Guitar Soli with John Fahey
Mindy Smith – Snowed In
Trace Adkins – The King’s Gift
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...