Kenny Rogers Marks Seven Decades of Charted Singles; Chris Thile Weds; New Music Videos
- Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly put together a video detailing Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013. Says Smith, “I was inspired to make this supercut after posting my 10 Best Country Albums of 2013 list for EW. A few commenters told me that my choices weren’t mainstream enough, and I thought, “Well, yeah, because so much of what’s on the radio these days sounds exactly the same!” So I decided to make a video to prove my point. I hope country fans will stop settling for this derivative junk. I love a dumb party song every once in a while (including some of these!), but when they’re the only flavor available, they get old very, very fast. Here’s to better music in 2014.”
- NPR’s Neda Ulaby discusses how women dominated the country music’s critical success stories this year, while CBC Music’s Holly Gordon called country’s “year of women” a myth.
- John Spong wrote a fantastic story about Guy Clark for Texas Monthly.
- Whitney Self interviewed Holly Williams for CMT Edge.
- Chris Thile got married to actress Claire Coffee.
- Bobby Bare wouldn’t change a lyric from “beer” to “Coke” for an elementary school appearance and elected not to perform instead.
- The 40th Annual SPBGMA Bluegrass Music Award nominees were announced.
- Jewly Hight interviewed The Grascals’ Danny Roberts for CMT Edge.
- Dolly Parton will renew her vows with husband Carl Dean for the couple’s 50th anniversary in 2016.
- Darrell Scott on working with Tim O’Brien: “Sometimes the co-write can bring up stuff you’d never come up with on your own. Tim and I emailed the songs we’d written on our own for the project to each other. We really did our bouncing back and forth with completed songs. I just knew thematically we’d match up well on ‘Keep Your Dirty Lights On.’ Tim is a very well-read guy. He knows the issues, especially as they had to do with his state of West Virginia. ‘Keep Your Dirty Lights On’ being the only song we co-wrote speaks more to the fact that we didn’t have a lot of time.”
- Brad Paisley wrote a brief George Jones obituary for Entertainment Weekly.
- Our friend Stephen Deusner interviewed Steve Martin for CMT.
- Eddie Montgomery’s closed steakhouse and surrounding lots are going up for auction January 10. The money raised will help to pay defaulted loans; according to The Lexington Herald-Leader, Montgomery and his ex-wife owe nearly $12.7 million to the Central Bank & Trust of Lexington. The bank was also awarded possession of Montgomery’s personal property in Boyle County, Kentucky.
- Ronnie Dunn’s got a new song called “Grown Damn Man.”
- The Tennessean’s Peter Cooper wrote about the fundraising efforts to help offset Tony Rice’s medical and living expenses.
- Gloriana has released a new single called “Best Night Ever” that you can listen to here.
- Kenny Rogers’ duet with Dolly Parton, “You Can’t Make Old Friends,” hit Billboard’s chart at No. 57, giving him charted hits in each of the last seven decades.
- Edward Morris of CMT interviewed Deana Carter about her new album, Southern Way of Life.
- Morris also wrote a Year in Review piece for CMT.
- Saving Country Music’s Trigger counted down the top ten live performances he saw in 2013.
- Meet Alaskan bluegrass artist Anna Lynch.
- Pollstar published an interview with up-and-comer Logan Brill.
- Cole Swindell will release his debut self-titled debut album on Warner Nashville February 18.
- Travis Tritt is narrating As Dreamers Do, a documentary about a young Walt Disney.
- Jonathan Pappalardo counted down his favorite country albums over at My Kind of Country.
- Rita Ballou of Rawhide and Velvet named Brandy Clark’s “Stripes” the best song of 2013.
- Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen earned the top spot on PopMatters’s Best Bluegrass of 2013 list.
- Taylor Swift was named the Tennessean of the Year. Swift also spoke with James Hibberd of Entertainment Weekly about her next project: “Describing it is difficult. At the core of what I do, it’s always going to revolve around a confessional storyline and filling my fans in on what my life has actually been. It’s become this lifeline between me and my friends and they know that no matter what they read in some magazine, they’re going to hear the actual accounting of it when the album comes out. I’ve always written songs for the same reason — to sort through my emotions. As I grow up, the lessons I learn in love and relationships and how we treat each other are hopefully maturing — hopefully.”
- Suzy Bogguss on her new Merle Haggard (not) tribute album: “The truth is that Merle Haggard made records of his songs that are going to live forever…What I was trying to do was show people what an amazing songwriter he is. I didn’t know if some people might find that his artistry overwhelms that. I wanted to show that his songs are so universal that a woman can sing them, and still get across the real life messages and stories that he tells in his songs.”
- New music videos from the past couple of weeks:
Darius Rucker – “Beautiful Baby”
Beverly Mahood – “I Can’t Outrun You”
Grace and Tony – “November”
Sam Outlaw – “Cry for Me”
Charlie Faye – “It’s a Fighter”
Brantley Gilbert – “Bottoms Up”
Luke Bryan – “Drink a Beer”
Drew Baldridge – “BYOB”
Tigirlily – “Don’t Worry ‘Bout Tomorrow”
Holly May – “Go Big or Go Home”
Fox & The Bird – “Wreck of the Fallible”
Amy Rose – “Sunshine”
Meghan Linsey – “Counting Stars”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.