Kenny Chesney Most Played Artist In First Half of 2008
- The list of artists with the most airplay from the first half of 2008 is topped by Kenny Chesney, with Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Brad Paisley and Rascal Flatts rounding out the top five.
- After more than a decade with Epic Records, Patty Loveless is going indie with the September 9th release of Sleepless Nights–her interpretation of 14 country classics, including: “Why Baby Why,” “He Thinks I Still Care” and “Cold Cold Heart.”
- The Houston Chronicle’s Joey Guerra says with the right push, Katie Armiger‘s second album, Believe, could make her a breakout star. The album was released last week, and for those who watch Nashville Star, Armiger and Star contestant Ashlee Hewitt are best friends. The Chronicle also posted video of Armiger singing a snippet of “Trail of Lies” a capella.
- Taylor Swift ditched the prom dresses for L.e.i. jeans. (via NashvilleGab)
- The latest edition of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary added about 100 new words, one of which is mondegreen–a word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung. A few months back, readers here at The 9513 shared some of their own mondegreens. Here’s one of my favorite, submitted by Roger:
Going back a few years to John Anderson’s “Seminole Wind” – In the chorus when he sings “Blow, blow, Seminole Wind” My sister nearly wrecked her car when she heard my 10 year old niece singing along loudly with “Blow, blow, seven old men”!!
- Lyle Lovett expanded his current tour to include a series of acoustic shows with John Hiatt beginning in September.
- WXPN’s David Dye brings you more music from Hayes Carll and Ryan Bingham in recent sessions of World Cafe.
- Edward Morris says Kenny Chesney clearly owned the audience during his performance at Nashville’s LP Field on Saturday while Tom Roland concludes that there was a prevailing sense of sameness throughout Chesney’s mostly engaging show, which was broken up by a brief appearance from Jennifer Nettles‘ performing “Stay.”
- R&B singer Joe adds a peculiar flavor to his version of Carrie Underwood‘s “Before He Cheats,” and Johnny Cash‘s “Folsom Prison Blues” gets a hip hop treatment from Everlast, where, with some fancy video work, the band actually shares the stage with Cash. (via CMT Blog)
- Of all the hits to his name, songwriter Bob McDill only remembers one song that came to him quickly, and that was the Waylon Jennings hit, “Amanda.” Edward Morris covered his rare interview at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum as part of the Poets & Prophets series of songwriter interviews.
It was the disappearance from radio of such sensitive song interpreters as Don Williams, Kathy Mattea and Dan Seals, McDill said, that primarily caused him to retire from songwriting in 2000. He said he found singers who came later “less interesting.” He did joke, however, “If Alan Jackson hadn’t been such a great songwriter, I might still be in the music business.”
- NashvilleGab has pictures of Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood‘s recently purchased Malibu beach house.
- For the innagural episode of Nashville at Nite, Ashlie Kolb caught up with Ashley Monroe and newcomer Erick Baker at a BMI showcase.
- Chet Flippo calls Sugarland‘s “All I Want To Do” the only song they’ve ever cut that sends him reeling from the room in pain, and dubs their upcoming album “a leading candidate for country album of the year.”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …