Kenny Chesney In 3D; Chris Hillman Records Live Album; Catch Radney Foster’s “Angel Flight”
- Sony Pictures plans to bring Kenny Chesney to the big screen next April in a limited-release concert film, Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3-D.
- Sugar Hill released a video from the release party for Sam Bush‘s album Circles Around Me.
- Brad Paisley on why he wears a hat:
It’s about the image, and it’s about the lifestyle and what I want to sing about. It’s not like someone’s going to mistake me when they turn on “Conan O’Brien” tonight, you know what I mean? It’s not like, “Wonder what kind of music he sings.” Instantly, when you turn it on, you know.
- Check out all of Taylor Swift‘s skits from her appearance on Saturday Night Live.
- EW.com’s Whitney Pastorek kept a not-quite-liveblog of the CMA Awards rehearsal on Sunday, with an occasional interview, and found out Carrie Underwood will change dresses a total of nine times.
- Willie Nelson performed an off the cuff concert at the Ryman Auditorium last Thursday that was dominated by cover songs. CMT’s Chris Parton has a review.
- Country Haiku:
I cannot help but
Wonder what she’s doing now
Where’s my telescope?
- Gary Allan, who plays the Ryman on Thursday, explained the process behind choosing songs for his albums:
“I usually write all I can, and then I go to my friends and if their songs beat my songs, I put them on the CD,” he explains. “They have to relate to me in my life somewhere. I can never do a song about tractors or anything that doesn’t relate to me personally.”
- The Dixie Bee-Liners lead singer Brandi Hart on the band’s new album:
“Susanville is the first of several bluegrass concept records we’ve been planning. It’s all about journeys and destinations. If you can imagine being able to look down into every car on the highway and tell the stories of the people inside, that’s what Susanville is like.”
- Listen to a live recording of Charlie Robison performing his hit “Photograph.”
- Music Fog videos:
- Chris Hillman performed a concert for a church fundraiser on Saturday night, which was recorded with plans to be released as a live album on Rounder Records next year.
- Nashville Scene‘s Edd Hurst wonders: “After helping spur a roots revival, where will The Peasall Sisters go next?”
- The Brooklyn Rail’s Margaret Eby reviewed the recently released book A Heartbeat and a Guitar: Johnny Cash and the Making of Bitter Tears by Antonino D’Ambrosio. She concludes:
D’Ambrosio’s enthusiasm for Bitter Tears turns into a regurgitation of Cash’s own self-constructed mythology. The Johnny Cash that sings about Ira Hayes’ plight on Bitter Tears is no more—and no less—real than the Johnny Cash of any other era. D’Ambrosio fails to mine the contradictions behind Cash’s persona.
Not that D’Ambrosio’s moment of realization was wrong; Johnny Cash was indeed a folksinger. But he was also a chameleon, a sneering rock star and an earnest troubadour, a country legend and an outlaw. Cash said as much in an angry, amphetamine-fueled letter to Billboard: “I am fighting no particular cause. If I did, it would soon make me a sluggard. For as times change, I change.”
Watch the new video for Radney Foster‘s “Angel Flight.” (via Music Fog)
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …