Kenny Chesney In 3D; Chris Hillman Records Live Album; Catch Radney Foster’s “Angel Flight”
- Sony Pictures plans to bring Kenny Chesney to the big screen next April in a limited-release concert film, Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3-D.
- Sugar Hill released a video from the release party for Sam Bush‘s album Circles Around Me.
- Brad Paisley on why he wears a hat:
It’s about the image, and it’s about the lifestyle and what I want to sing about. It’s not like someone’s going to mistake me when they turn on “Conan O’Brien” tonight, you know what I mean? It’s not like, “Wonder what kind of music he sings.” Instantly, when you turn it on, you know.
- Check out all of Taylor Swift‘s skits from her appearance on Saturday Night Live.
- EW.com’s Whitney Pastorek kept a not-quite-liveblog of the CMA Awards rehearsal on Sunday, with an occasional interview, and found out Carrie Underwood will change dresses a total of nine times.
- Willie Nelson performed an off the cuff concert at the Ryman Auditorium last Thursday that was dominated by cover songs. CMT’s Chris Parton has a review.
- Country Haiku:
I cannot help but
Wonder what she’s doing now
Where’s my telescope?
- Gary Allan, who plays the Ryman on Thursday, explained the process behind choosing songs for his albums:
“I usually write all I can, and then I go to my friends and if their songs beat my songs, I put them on the CD,” he explains. “They have to relate to me in my life somewhere. I can never do a song about tractors or anything that doesn’t relate to me personally.”
- The Dixie Bee-Liners lead singer Brandi Hart on the band’s new album:
“Susanville is the first of several bluegrass concept records we’ve been planning. It’s all about journeys and destinations. If you can imagine being able to look down into every car on the highway and tell the stories of the people inside, that’s what Susanville is like.”
- Listen to a live recording of Charlie Robison performing his hit “Photograph.”
- Music Fog videos:
- Chris Hillman performed a concert for a church fundraiser on Saturday night, which was recorded with plans to be released as a live album on Rounder Records next year.
- Nashville Scene‘s Edd Hurst wonders: “After helping spur a roots revival, where will The Peasall Sisters go next?”
- The Brooklyn Rail’s Margaret Eby reviewed the recently released book A Heartbeat and a Guitar: Johnny Cash and the Making of Bitter Tears by Antonino D’Ambrosio. She concludes:
D’Ambrosio’s enthusiasm for Bitter Tears turns into a regurgitation of Cash’s own self-constructed mythology. The Johnny Cash that sings about Ira Hayes’ plight on Bitter Tears is no more—and no less—real than the Johnny Cash of any other era. D’Ambrosio fails to mine the contradictions behind Cash’s persona.
Not that D’Ambrosio’s moment of realization was wrong; Johnny Cash was indeed a folksinger. But he was also a chameleon, a sneering rock star and an earnest troubadour, a country legend and an outlaw. Cash said as much in an angry, amphetamine-fueled letter to Billboard: “I am fighting no particular cause. If I did, it would soon make me a sluggard. For as times change, I change.”
Watch the new video for Radney Foster‘s “Angel Flight.” (via Music Fog)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.