Kenny Chesney Grosses Mostest; Rascal Flatts Celebrate 10 Years; Shania Twain Carries Olympic Torch
- At number six Kenny Chesney was the highest placed country star on Pollstar‘s list of the top 50 tours of North America for 2009. Keith Urban (16), Rascal Flatts (18), Brad Paisley (22), Toby Keith (29), Taylor Swift (36), and George Strait (41) rounded out the list of country acts.
- Ken Tucker’s 10 favorite albums of the year range from mainstream monoliths George Strait and Keith Urban to seasoned bluegrassers Sam Bush and Ricky Skaggs.
- Country Haiku channels Johnny Cash, kind of:
You should get rhythm
Whenever you get the blues
Or maybe a drink
- Peep, The Houston Chronicle‘s entertainment blog, rightfully included Johnny Cash Remixed on a list of 10 unbearable albums released in 2009.
- Darius Rucker‘s pick for most underrated country music star goes to Miranda Lambert.
- Music Fog: Bonnie Bishop – “River of Joy”
- James Jennings keeps his brother’s memory alive through his liquor store, Waymore’s Liquor Store.
- In an interview with The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts, Rascal Flatt‘s Jay DeMarcus commented on future possibilities:
[...] The six records we’ve done have been unmistakably Rascal Flatts, but there’s an itch inside of each one of us that wants to do a hardcore country record that hearkens back to the stuff we grew up on, and that our parents loved, and that we’ve been singing our whole lives. It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary to see a few surprises from us.
Later on, Gary LeVox mentioned he was surprised and blown away by the offensiveness of some interpretations of “Bob That Head.”
- And in a separate article, Cindy Watts profiled the trio.
- The Austin Chronicles‘ Texas and National best-of lists are peppered with country acts.
- Hank Williams fans gathered around his grave on Friday morning for an annual memorial. Among them was Jim Carrier, who recorded the ceremony and is preparing a documentary about the fans who keep Williams’ musical legacy alive.
- Roughstock’s 10 best country albums of 2009.
- Watch the new video for Eli Young Band‘s song “Guinevere.”
- Kent Finlay, owner of Cheatham Street Warehouse where George Strait began playing in 1975, believes the latest generation of musicians playing at his club have it in them to be just as big as Strait.
- Shania Twain carried the Olympic torch through her hometown of Timmins, Ontario on New Year’s Day.
- Farce the Music is handing out sackpunches to anyone who plans to maintain musical status quo in the upcoming year.
- Thanks everyone for the wonderful 2009, and here’s to an even better 2010.
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.