Kenny Chesney Grosses Mostest; Rascal Flatts Celebrate 10 Years; Shania Twain Carries Olympic Torch
- At number six Kenny Chesney was the highest placed country star on Pollstar‘s list of the top 50 tours of North America for 2009. Keith Urban (16), Rascal Flatts (18), Brad Paisley (22), Toby Keith (29), Taylor Swift (36), and George Strait (41) rounded out the list of country acts.
- Ken Tucker’s 10 favorite albums of the year range from mainstream monoliths George Strait and Keith Urban to seasoned bluegrassers Sam Bush and Ricky Skaggs.
- Country Haiku channels Johnny Cash, kind of:
You should get rhythm
Whenever you get the blues
Or maybe a drink
- Peep, The Houston Chronicle‘s entertainment blog, rightfully included Johnny Cash Remixed on a list of 10 unbearable albums released in 2009.
- Darius Rucker‘s pick for most underrated country music star goes to Miranda Lambert.
- Music Fog: Bonnie Bishop – “River of Joy”
- James Jennings keeps his brother’s memory alive through his liquor store, Waymore’s Liquor Store.
- In an interview with The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts, Rascal Flatt‘s Jay DeMarcus commented on future possibilities:
[...] The six records we’ve done have been unmistakably Rascal Flatts, but there’s an itch inside of each one of us that wants to do a hardcore country record that hearkens back to the stuff we grew up on, and that our parents loved, and that we’ve been singing our whole lives. It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary to see a few surprises from us.
Later on, Gary LeVox mentioned he was surprised and blown away by the offensiveness of some interpretations of “Bob That Head.”
- And in a separate article, Cindy Watts profiled the trio.
- The Austin Chronicles‘ Texas and National best-of lists are peppered with country acts.
- Hank Williams fans gathered around his grave on Friday morning for an annual memorial. Among them was Jim Carrier, who recorded the ceremony and is preparing a documentary about the fans who keep Williams’ musical legacy alive.
- Roughstock’s 10 best country albums of 2009.
- Watch the new video for Eli Young Band‘s song “Guinevere.”
- Kent Finlay, owner of Cheatham Street Warehouse where George Strait began playing in 1975, believes the latest generation of musicians playing at his club have it in them to be just as big as Strait.
- Shania Twain carried the Olympic torch through her hometown of Timmins, Ontario on New Year’s Day.
- Farce the Music is handing out sackpunches to anyone who plans to maintain musical status quo in the upcoming year.
- Thanks everyone for the wonderful 2009, and here’s to an even better 2010.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!